Manager – PMEL (Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning)
Manager – PMEL (Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning)
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
This newly created role reports directly to the International director (CEO) WRI India, you will play a strategic role in providing guidance at the senior levels of WRI in the areas of project planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts. The purpose is to support WRI India to improve programme quality and impact and strengthen its contribution to transformational change. The PMEL supports: programme design and proposal development; adaptive management of programmes throughout implementation and ensuring that the impacts of programmes are honestly assessed and available to inform good practice within WRI and the wider Confederation. From the planning and monitoring perspective, in this position you would be acting as a liaison and first point of contact from CEO’s office for internal and external stakeholders and interacting with them. Interfacing with the different programs, core teams and operations units.
The Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Associate will play a central role in WRI-India’s planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) efforts. You will help WRI-India with the Annual Planning and reporting process that we use to set strategy, understand how our work is contributing to impact and fulfilling our responsibility to test our assumptions. Key parts of the role include ensuring the planning processes facilitates focus in the portfolio of work, effective monitoring and evaluation frameworks to understand the outcomes and impacts of our work, and that there are iterative feedback loops to incorporate learning into the strategic planning process.
The PMEL Associate will lead the integration of PMEL cutting-edge thinking and approaches to our work and establish best practices. This will include learning from peer organizations, participation in conferences and trainings and disseminating knowledge, to build a broad cohort of expertise across WRI-India.
You will also work directly with our project teams to support integration of PMEL into projects, with the aim of better equipping us to plan for and assess how our efforts are achieving desired impact. This will include the provision of targeted support to individual teams and projects to integrate best practices in order to plan for, monitor and assess impact. In this role, you will contribute to topical workshops, team retreats, and learning events. In collaboration with our Science and Research team, you will support our project teams to utilize impact assessment as an approach to research and learning, and to apply results of this type of research to inform strategy and implementation.
- The position will provide extensive supports for developing and implementing Programme Monitoring Framework for the project including detailed PMEL Plan.
- Designs, develops and implements the framework/strategy, system and quantitative and qualitative tools, with a focus on information systems strengthening and incorporating technology.
- Leads regular monitoring data collection, verification, entry, spot checking, analysis, reporting and sharing, ensuring accurate data on a regular basis and as per agreed framework and timelines.
- Capture and share lessons learned, promising practices, success stories and advance knowledge sharing opportunities. Advance new ways of using PMEL to enhance performance, learning and communication of WRI-India’s results
- Gather and share best practices in PMEL and ensure teams are using best practices, especially with respect to gender and social equity and develop connections with other organizations with strong PMEL practices
- Provide support to teams for reporting processes for internal and external uses, ensuring teams follow policies and protocols. Support program teams to takes steps to remedy issues. Implement, refine and maintain consistent data collection standards and methods for indicators
- Build capacity of WRI-India and its partners in PMEL, including providing training, best practice guides, tools, and other means of continuously enhancing the state of practice within WRI-India
- Develop context and thematic area appropriate data collection tools necessary to monitor programs and projects. Mentor staff engages in PMEL activities and provide technical backstopping to WRI-India staff engaged in PMEL
- Support monitoring and evaluation (M&E) related reporting to donors and provide support for teams as they develop M&E frameworks for donor proposals and provide guidance on M&E reporting and indicators to subgrantees and partners, as needed
- Planning & Monitoring quarterly program reviews for each program.
- Driving all the India executive meeting, donor review and board meeting – (Agenda, minutes and following up on decisions). Structure them in the PMEL framework.
- Master’s degree required in Public Policy, Statistics, Economics or other relevant field, or 6 to 9 years of experience. PhD would be added advantage.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills. Excellent computer skills including MS Office 360, Outlook, and preferably PowerBI, previous experience with STATA, R, SPSS, or other similar software desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to distill key points from large amounts of information, tailor presentations to different audiences, and able to communicate processes with colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team, well-organized, and works efficiently. Superior attention to detail and seeks excellence in work. Ability to work under tight deadlines, adjust to changing priorities.
- Experience working in at least some of WRI’s thematic areas: climate change, energy, forests, water, sustainable cities. With experience in developing theories of change, results frameworks, logframes, or other planning frameworks that include outcome and impact indicators
- Experience conducting or contributing to impact evaluations, evaluations of program effectiveness, or other evaluations. Have experience of providing support to teams in the development of indicators, MEL frameworks, PIRS, etc. with exposure of gender and social equity dimensions
- Demonstrated experience conducting gender analyses, political economy analyses, baseline assessments, or other project or program planning assessments
- Extensive experience utilizing good practices in collecting data, cleaning data, analyzing data, developing protocols for data management, tools for data collection, communicating results transparently, etc.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: Delhi, India
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.