Consultant as Mobile Application Developer
The main objective in this development is to further develop/improve android app for both existing platform and future applications being built from scratch (Android and/or iOS). The strategy is to effectively handle all matters related to digitalization of government and emissions system, from Monitoring & Evaluation System of One Map Policy (OMP) in national level to sub-district, until a mobile application platform for public citizens to use for tracking and offsetting their environmental footprint.
However, there are also many challenges including native applications of mobile application system related to Geographical Information System (GIS) and automated data analytics/statistical measurement. Such mobile system would help government agencies and wider public to strengthen their own capacity in producing and managing high-quality maps in high volume, and separately count individual emissions at city level, so it could be useful in supporting better sustainable development planning and implementation.
IT Technical Work (90%)
- The current platform is developed using:
- LAMP and/or LAPP (Centos 7, Ubuntu 16.04)
- Laravel and Django Framework, PHP vanilla
- Leaflet, OpenLayers 3
- PostgreSQL + PostGIS and MySQL.
- There is no current APIs for this Android app, it can be created later.
- Located in BIG data centre, Cibinong, Bogor, West Java.
- Located in South Sumatera.
- Potentially located in Jakarta as well.
- Deployment (especially database) can be only executed locally using intranet, therefore application testing required database’s data must be conduct on-site.
- Remote deployment only for some minor update using Git.
- Provide expertise on Information Technology (IT) in technical and operational aspects to support WRI Indonesia’s One Map Initiative and Emission program’s activities.
- In collaboration with WRI Indonesia's One Map IT Specialist and Sustainability Officer, conduct or support programming processes towards effective and efficient IT system to accelerate the implementation of One Map Initiative and Emission Program.
- In collaboration with the Sustainable Land Use Project Lead and WRI Indonesia’s JIGD Jakarta Team, design applications that can accommodate user needs for One Map Initiative, as well as developing sub-national technical instructions and Standard Operating Procedures.
- If needed, assist in development, deployment, and configuration of online system and network infrastructure of provincial and district governments, focusing on 4 priority provinces: Riau, South Sumatera, Papua, and West Papua.
- In collaboration with Sustainability Officer and Cities Team, design and prototype version 1 of Emissions Mobile Application in accordance with Jakarta Provincial Government as the pilot project partner and implementer.
Communication Related to IT Works (10%)
- Collaborate with other web developer in the IT Developer team as the senior developer.
- Solving the problem, giving the options for optimization, develop strategy to meet the deadline and arrange the schedule needed to deliver products in/on time.
- In consultation with the Sustainable Land Use Project Lead and IT Specialist, develop implementation plan of IT development to align with WRI Indonesia’s implementation plan.
- Liaise closely with GIS Specialist and Administration Officer for technical aspects, and with Legal Analyst for standards and criteria pertaining to IT development.
- In collaboration with other WRI officers in regional office to align with the One Map Initiative programs, such as debugging geoportal system, updating system, and any other issues related to online system in respected region.
- Communicate with Sustainability Team and Cities Team in WRI Indonesia pertaining to progress, issues and results of emissions application, with version 1 to be rolled out.
1) Finalized development of two specific mobile applications (Android and/or iOS) as agreed at the beginning of work engagement with the rest of WRI Indonesia team.
2) At the end of the assignment, the Consultant shall submit a Final Report that includes the accomplishments of the Consultant for the period of the assignment, including constraints experienced and any recommendation for improvement, submitted in electronic to the Sustainable Land Use Project Lead.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, preferably with coursework in information technology, web design and programming, web-GIS/geoportal development, and/or information management system.
- Professional working experience in the field of IT as well as able to demonstrate skills and knowledge to perform this assignment professionally.
- Minimum two years of experience in developing Android Application
- Minimum one years of experience in setting up and maintaining databases, especially PostgreSQL + PostGIS.
- Minimum one year of experience working with national/local governments, civil societies and/or the private sectors entities.
- Able to occasionally conduct short business travels in and out of town.
- Ability to manage work and time pressure while staying flexible
- Ability to collaborate with teams and communicate effectively
- Ability to fulfill administrative works in timely manners
- Fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Understanding of, and experience in both Android and iOS application development.
- Understanding of, and experience in database development and programming.
- Familiarity with GIS Server using Django and/or Laravel
- Understand the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Standards.
Duration, Terms of Payment and Placement
This works will start on September 1, 2019 and ending on December 31, 2019, with possible extension depending on performance evaluation, project structure and budget availability. This is a daily-rate consultant position with maximum 72 (seventy-two) working days for the whole contract period. The consultant will be paid monthly based on monthly timesheets, ongoing deliverables report, and invoices submitted on every 15th dates. The Consultant will be mainly based in the WRI Indonesia’s Jakarta Office with possible travel to attend workshops, meet partners (BIG in Cibinong), and field visits as may be assigned.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
Consultant rate: Consultant rate is commensurate with experience and skills.
Qualified applicants should apply online through WRI career portal in order to be formally considered.
Application close: 1700 (Jakarta Time), 7 August 2019. We will close the advert earlier when best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect. The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 800+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.
Last Date Modified: 6-Nov-18
Modified By: TM. Utama