Chief Economist - WRI India
Chief Economist, WRI India
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
In this newly created role, you will have the opportunity to increase our ability to impact thought leadership around urban, energy, forests, adaptation, and climate policy issues. Reporting to the CEO of WRI India and leading our research and analytical work, you will be a member of the WRI India Executive Team as well as a member of the global WRI Economics team. Your reputation as a recognized economist will enable you to have an impact across our global network.
Your main areas of responsibility will include the following:
Research & Knowledge:
- Provide intellectual leadership - identify economic knowledge gaps where our research can produce changes in society consistent with our mission, in collaboration with research staff from the different programs and our Economics Team
- Lead research and analytical work in key WRI research areas, largely focused on urban, energy, forests, adaptation and climate policy areas
- Support the economics content of the research efforts of programmaticteams in WRI India. Identify the data and methods needed to produce robust, unbiased research that addresses knowledge gaps and informs influence strategies
- Review knowledge products written by other WRI researchers as relevant. Identify knowledge gaps and influence opportunities where WRI India research canproduce meaningful improvements
- Cultivate relationships that expand the audiences for knowledge products and their uptake of tools and research products. Author or co-author knowledge products and review and provide constructive feedback on knowledge products produced by other WRI India and global initiatives
- Advise project objective strategies and outcomes for major research projects
- Identify potential gaps in personnel or expertiseand develop plans to fill them
- Define project success criteria jointly with program directors and the WRI India leadership team;disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle
- Contribute toprograms’ strategy development, partnership development and fundraising proposals (presentations, narratives, budgets)
- Collaborate with program directors to determine appropriateresearch topics and plans for proposals and development efforts
- Leverage new and maintain existing relationships with foundations, governments and individual donors
- Develop and lead outreach/funding presentations to potential donors
- Evaluate program performance
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant full-time work experience with a minimum of 8 years in a leadership position.
- Advanced degree in economics, with a focus on either the urban, energy or climate policy areas.
- Proven ability to provide vision and superb strategic thinking skills to identify strategic projects, drive transformative change, and bring outcomes to scale
- Proven experience in stakeholder engagement, convening, and partnership management
- Strong research skillswith relevant experience on publishing high impact reports, familiarity with peer review processes, and experience in multi-partner joint publications
- Outstanding ability to communicate clearly, passionately, and compellingly to a wide range of audiences, especially high-level decision-makers from government, the private sector, and civil society
- Superior management skills, including project management, staff supervision, and financial management. Demonstrated ability to successfully motivate and manage teams
- Experience with donor management
- Experience working in major international institutions and/or in government
- Familiarity with the operation models of NGOs/research institutionsStrong governmental network with significant experience in working directly with relevant ministries
- A PhD would be highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.