Communications Specialist, Resource Watch
Resource Watch launched in 2018 to enable decision-makers to use open data to inform action and to empower activists to hold governments and companies accountable. The platform has facilitated agenda-setting data journalism and led to global awards. At WRI, Resource Watch is part of the Data Lab within Research, Data, and Innovation, which oversees the review of all research products and promotes excellence across WRI’s open data initiatives.
As the Resource Watch Communications Specialist, your primary role will be defining and implementing a communications strategy for the data platform that includes social media, newsletters, webinars, blogs and other content. You will look for innovative ways to showcase our data and tell stories with it, including collaborating with subject matter experts across WRI’s global network.
This role requires someone who is an innovator, strong communicator, creative thinker, and is organized, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic. Proficiency in English is required. A strong interest in data, the environment, sustainability, and/or international development is desirable.
The position reports to the Resource Watch Director in Washington, DC.
Job Responsibilities Manage strategic communications for Resource Watch (70%)
· Update and implement the Resource Watch communications strategy, designed to grow the user community and showcase data in interesting ways
· Produce a regular stream of content on Resource Watch’s social media accounts, including data visualizations and multimedia elements, with an emphasis on growing the user community
· Write and edit the monthly Resource Watch Newsletter, soliciting contributions from across the RW team
· Work with WRI’s media team to share Resource Watch content with reporters and editors
· Manage media partnerships and seek new ones
· Support for internal and external events, including helping to design webinars, prepare speakers, and manage logistics
· Help the Resource Watch leadership and staff with PPT presentations and preparations for speaking events
· Help with basic design projects including photo selection and social media content development
· Track communications analytics including media mentions, social media engagement, newsletter metrics, webinar attendance, etc.
· Develop the RW Communications Strategy building on the current digital presence of Resource Watch
Edit the Resource Watch blog (30%)
· Develop and maintain a pipeline of data stories for the Resource Watch blog from contributors across WRI’s Programs, Centers and International Offices
· Edit stories for the Resource Watch blog authored by RW team members and WRI program staff
· Seek out blogs from other data platforms at WRI
· Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant, full-time work experience in journalism, public relations, communications or similar
· Bachelor’s degree in related field such as communications, journalism, social science, or environmental science
· Articulate, versatile, highly skilled writer with professional writing experience and outstanding English written and verbal communications skills
· A proven track record of implementing effective communications that achieve results and amplify impact
· Experience with online content, social media, email marketing, and events
· Demonstrated expertise in written content about science, environment, sustainability and/or international development issues
· Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team across time zones
· Excellent interpersonal communications skills, highly motivated, proactive work style, detail-oriented, accountable, and with strong organizational skills
· A can-do outlook with a strong affinity to work for a global non-profit organization
· Mexico-based hire. Relevant work authorization is required for this opportunity