Graphic Design Intern
Program Overview (for Internship):
WRI Core Communications team, based largely in Washington DC, oversees strategy and outreach for the Institute in support of WRI leadership, program, centers and international offices. Communications is crucial to WRI’s success at achieving rapid, systemic changes. The global communications team strives to work as an integrated global network to expand WRI’s reach, reputation and impact.
WRI is looking for a graphic design intern to produce a wide range of print materials that will reflect our brand and advance our Institute mission and programmatic goals. The position works closely with the Creative Director, graphic designers, and Digital team. The position will also work with program staff across the institute. The ideal candidate will have college-level experience successfully designing and laying out communications materials. The ideal candidate will be able to work within our design workflow and also be expected to use Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite, as well as learn and use Canva Enterprise. This position requires very fine attention to detail and an ability to juggle multiple high-profile projects at the same time.
Internship Learning Outcomes:
- The design intern will be responsible for producing a wide range of printed materials, including catalog and report publications, brand identity, brochures, and social media assets.
- You will work with the design team to launch projects and then work closely with program staff to see the projects through completion.
- Fluency in the Adobe Creative Suite on a Mac platform, with emphasis on InDesign;
- Familiarity with Canva is a plus but not required;
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple projects quickly and with attention to detail;
- Ability to work well in a team environment, while managing competing priorities and tight deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals;
- Ability to share creative and new ideas while being open to feedback on these suggestions;
- Ability to work through multiple iterations of each project; Excellent communication skills;
- Flexibility and the ability to work under quick deadlines.
The pay range for this internship opportunity is between $16-20/hour, commensurate with qualifications.
Duration and Location
• This is a full-time, 6-months internship with flexible start and end dates based on the student’s availability and need for the project.
• This is a remote-based internship with the option to work out of the Washington D.C. office once it reopens.
• WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender, racial, and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.