Compliance / Legal Associate - Operations
Compliance / Legal Associate - Operations
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being. The India Resources Trust has a license from WRI to use the trademark “WRI India”.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India requires a self-motivated, smart, detail oriented and highly organized individual to support its Operations department as a compliance associate. This is a position for someone seeking to work in compliance and regulatory.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide significant support to the Operations team in streamlining current practices and identifying innovative solutions to the compliance requirements of the India office. It is expected that this individual would be willing to manage routine processes to ensure 100% compliance of the all office on all regulatory requirements.
- Establish and continuously improve a consistent compliance framework for the identification, management, monitoring and reporting of Compliance risks and issues.
- Monitor the compliance at 3 levels, Program, Offices and Organization level
- Understanding of Regulatory laws, regulatory strategies, Trust (NGO) laws (FCRA), Company law (FIMA, FDI etc), shops & establishment (Compliance – bonus, wage, attendance, fire drill, IT, display requirements etc). Knowledge and experience of best practice compliance and governance frameworks, methodologies and emerging practice, compliance monitoring.
- Drafting and vetting of MOA, MOU, Bank guarantee, Indemnity Bonds if any, Undertakings and authority letters, vendor contracts, donor contracts, framing disclaimers in our contracts, etc. Vetting, consultation and co-ordination with the panel of lawyers to ensure documents are legally sound.
- File appropriate compliance reports with regulatory agencies. Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues. Identify compliance issues that require follow-up or investigation.
- Report violations of compliance or regulatory standards to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate or required.
- Liaison with relevant legal department of Partners/Government offices and other authorities. Visit to Authorities for documentations, follow up and keeping the record of the same.
- Maintain regulatory or compliance documentation, determine operational compliance with regulations or standards. Communicate with government agencies. Conduct financial or regulatory audits.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Qualified LLB, with company secretary or CA as a desirable qualification. Sound understanding of laws and statutory regulations pertaining to company/trust, compliance management, regulatory is a must.
- At least 6-9 years full time work experience in financial management and administration or a related field
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural, global workplace
- Adaptable and flexible to shifting opportunities, priorities and needs. Should be able to deal with high levels of ambiguity and work with team members to find practical solutions.
Salary and Benefits
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Mumbai / Delhi, India
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Full time
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.