Project Associate- Transportation Planning (GIS)
Project Associate- Transportation Planning (GIS), Pune
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
WRI India is looking for a bright & hardworking project associate with transportation planning and GIS expertise, to join our Integrated Urban Transport team in Pune. By transforming data into actionable insights and solutions, we aim to assist our stakeholders to design solutions that enable sustainable city growth. The project associate will be a key member of WRI India’s Ross Centre for Sustainable Cities, Integrated Urban Transport team and will work on a variety of data driven analysis leveraging data, information, and technical skills to make existing mobility policies infants, toddlers and caregivers friendly. The project associate will also support the team in ongoing projects by co-designing tasks & preparing implementation plans.
How your day will unfold:
- Conduct mapping and documentation, coordination for primary & secondary surveys.
- Mine, create, collate, and visualize spatial and non-spatial data.
- Coordinate and prepare technical documents for the projects including data collection, conduct or coordinate surveys, compilation, analysis, base maps, design drawings, 3D visualizations, reports, presentations, general graphics and info graphics, etc.
- Conduct data analysis which can feed into the policy making.
- Prepare professional visualizations to be leveraged in presentations, publications, and online platforms.
Research, Analysis & Outreach
- Conduct data exploration, quantitative research and provide customized analytical solutions and insights to meet project requirements
- Work with project teams to assess and organize complex data assets from a variety of sources for spatial modeling
- Advise staff and partners on geospatial analyses and visualizations on request.
- Undertake own research towards new understandings and identify sustainable solutions focusing early childhood development.
- Identify best practices, promote them through external communication in public domain, including peer-reviewed articles, WRI working papers, and blog posts
- Work towards creating knowledge products, toolkits to achieve scaling mobility solutions with infants, toddlers, and caregivers’ lens.
Co-ordination of project work
- Develop material and conduct capacity building for Government officials, and other key state stakeholders in the city.
- Develop data visualization dashboards, interactive web-maps, storyboards that help in communicating complex data and insights into captivating visual outputs
- Support WRI India in any other research or projects related to Integrated Transport areas.
- Keep close track of progress of the projects and attend bi-weekly and monthly project review meetings with internal team and partners
- Support donor and grants management by developing a database and keeping this up-to-date.
- Review work done by the team to ensure all the deliverables are as per standards of WRI India.
- Keep timely and accurate information related to donors, partners and key stakeholders
- Monitoring and evaluation of performance, lessons learned to use on future preparation
- Support proposal documentation packaging for review and/or final distribution.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
Master’s degree in Geoinformatics
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Civil Engineering, or other related fields
3-5 year of relevant work experience in the Urban Planning field with working experience of GIS.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and power point presentation.
- Proficiency in GIS software including ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar
- Experience in spatial analysis and modeling (e.g., use of ArcGIS Spatial Analyst tools, or equivalent)
- Experience in handling publicly available GIS datasets, crowd-sourcing platforms such as Open Street Maps and remote-sensing databases
- Working knowledge of Python, Google API, PowerBI and Tableau is preferable.
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Pune (Maharashtra, India)
Duration: 1 year as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Start date: As soon as possible
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae of no more than 2 A4-sized pages detailing academic and relevant professional experience.
- A portfolio of relevant works/ Project reports of relevant works
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.