Director - Communications and Engagement
Director - Communications and Engagement
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
WRI India Communications team, based in New Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai, oversees the strategy and outreach for the Institute in support of WRI India’s leadership, program teams, and centres. Communications is crucial to WRI India’s success at achieving rapid, systemic changes.
About your role:
WRI India is looking for a dynamic and result-oriented candidate to lead its stakeholder engagement and communication needs. This position will report to WRI India’s CEO and will be a part of the Executive Team.
In this position you will develop the WRI India institutional communications strategy, strengthen external stakeholder relationships and provide strategic outreach guidance to program leadership and staff. You will oversee the WRI India’s branding, marketing, editing, online communications, and traditional media and social media strategies. The position will have oversight of a core communication team in India and will also require periodic liaising with our donors’ communication function.
The other key responsibility of this position network and establish strong connections with various stakeholders with a view to communicate WRI India’s research insights to them, as also involve them in WRI India’s efforts. The responsibilities will include stakeholder mapping, developing robust contact lists, follow up with various stakeholders, etc. in coordination with other program and function leads in WRI India.
The successful candidate will share a vision and commitment to sustainable development and WRI India’s mission and culture, characterized by intellectual enquiry, rigorous analytics, and transparency toward the public and its donors.
How your day will unfold:
• Develop and implement a high-impact, high-quality communications, and outreach strategy in support of WRI India strategy, across all program areas, working with the program directors, executive team, and solution leads.
• Strengthen the brand identity of WRI India with all stakeholders and increase visibility of our work with government partners, knowledge and implementation partners, donors, peers, and other audiences.
• Develop new partnerships with external communications networks in print, digital & social media.
• Establish high-visibility media outreach by securing opportunities for members of the Advisory Group and senior leadership. This would include traditional and new media outlets and would cover pitching, research, and monitoring daily news coverage, particularly for high-level events. Also provide strategic support in response to breaking news or other related external developments.
• Present WRI India’s work at external events as needed
• Monitor and evaluate the overall communications strategy, evaluate the impact of communication solutions, and reorient strategies as needed.
Indirect, as oversight of the WRI India Communications team:
• Manage all WRI India communication assets i.e., website, social media, print material, etc.
• Develop and oversee the delivery of a communication and outreach plan for specific institutional and program showcasing events.
• Provide input into the development of compelling fundraising materials, including proposals and presentations
• Ensure that communications efforts are coordinated across the programs, with institutional consistency
• Develop a plan and oversee its implementation to strengthen internal communications within WRI India
• Provide training and capacity building for all program staff on communications-relevant skills such as writing, presenting, media engagement and by encouraging team members to blog and use social media to make their voices heard throughout the field
External Stakeholder Engagement:
• Identify, build, and nurture relationships with external stakeholders to facilitate the following:
o External champions are identified to promote our work and inform others in the ecosystem
o Other channels of engagement are developed and strengthened with decision makers
o Feedback reaches WRI India’s CEO, as well as program and function leads, on the emerging priorities of other external stakeholders
o Our research is relevant, timely, and understandable for decision makers
• Provide regular briefings with WRI India leadership outlining our engagement efforts and upcoming opportunities
• Anchor and run internal conversations to equip other staff on the understanding of partnerships and partnership management.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
• Postgraduate degree in communications, journalism, or a related field, with experience or an established interest in sustainable development, climate action, or related fields.
• Minimum of 15+ years of experience in strategic communications, marketing, public relations, and/or journalism with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership position
• Media relations skills with reporters and established media contacts
• Published stories in professional media outlets or blogs
• Strong managerial skills and prior experience leading a dynamic team. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
• Cultural sensitivity to work in different international environments. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
• Experience in working for a non-profit organization would be an advantage
Salary & Benefits: 40,00,000 to 44,50,000 CTC Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai/Chennai, India
Duration: 3 years (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.