GHG Protocol Technical Trainer
In this role, you will use your GHG expertise to provide technical support to the users of Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards and guidance. You will manage and deliver the GHG Protocol training program as well as the “Built on GHG Protocol” mark review service. These activities will help companies and organizations worldwide develop greenhouse gas inventories in conformance with Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards. You will also support the work of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol more generally within WRI’s Climate Program as needs arise.
This position is currently remote due to Covid-19, but you can be based at one of WRI’s offices in Washington, DC, London, The Hague, or Mexico City once restrictions have lifted. You must have legal work authorization and be currently located within one of mentioned countries. Please indicate your office location in your application materials. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, limited-term position for six months with a potential to extend employment.
- Provide technical support to corporate users of Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards and guidance, including providing advice and answering technical questions on the application of the Corporate Standard, Scope 2 Guidance, and Scope 3 Standard
- Manage GHG Protocol training program and deliver GHG Protocol online trainings to users of GHG Protocol standards as well as training to trainers (train-the-trainers)
- Manage GHG Protocol e-learning courses
- Manage “Built on GHG Protocol” mark review service and review external guidance for conformance with GHG Protocol standards as part of Built on GHG Protocol mark process
- Explore new greenhouse gas accounting topics to determine need for supplementary GHG Protocol standards or guidance
- Compile FAQ based on technical support to help users apply standards
- Support fundraising and grants management and other activities as needed
- Coordinate with the Science Based Targets team to insure harmonization across initiatives
- Support other Greenhouse Gas Protocol projects and activities as needs arise
- Three+ years of relevant, full-time work experience in Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards and greenhouse gas quantification methodologies
- Master’s degree in environmental science, environmental policy, or related field, or a Bachelor's degree with two additional years of experience
- Expressed interest and experience in providing technical training and support
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Strong writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a team, manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines
- Commitment to WRI’s mission
- Valid work authorization in the US, UK, Netherlands, or Mexico
Potential Salary: $59,000 - $77,000 if based in WRI DC office. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
The Greenhouse Gas Protocol establishes comprehensive global standardized frameworks to measure and manage greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from private and public sector operations, value chains and mitigation actions. Building on a 20-year partnership between World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), GHG Protocol works with governments, industry associations, NGOs, businesses and other organizations. In 2016, 92% of Fortune 500 companies responding to the CDP used GHG Protocol directly or indirectly through a program based on GHG Protocol. The first edition of the Corporate Standard, published in 2001, has been updated with additional guidance that clarifies how companies can measure emissions from electricity and other energy purchases, and account for emissions from throughout their value chains. GHG Protocol also developed a suite of calculation tools to assist companies in calculating their greenhouse gas emissions and measure the benefits of climate change mitigation projects. The Paris Agreement, adopted within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in December 2015, commits participating all countries to limit global temperature rise, adapt to changes already occurring, and regularly increase efforts over time. GHG Protocol is developing standards, tools and online training that helps countries and cities track progress towards their climate goals.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.