Global Clean Energy Intern
About the Program:
WRI’s Energy Program speeds the transition to a low-carbon, inclusive energy future by helping to build clean energy markets and change institutions. The Energy Program collaborates with policymakers, cities, companies, utilities, regulators, and development institutions to secure a clean energy future for everyone.
This position is fully remote.
What you will do:
As the Global Clean Energy Intern, you will provide research and data analysis support to the Global Energy Team. You will work with the team to carry out and document analysis that integrates data from WRI’s Systems Change Lab, the NDC Partnership, and other programs of WRI and its partners around the world. This analysis will aim to characterize progress toward the clean energy transition and identify areas for accelerating progress through actions by governments, businesses, and civil society.
Other initiatives you may support include the Climate Solutions Partnership, the Clean Energy Investment Accelerator, and the Asia Clean Energy Coalition. You will assist with writing memos and background notes to support meetings and WRI knowledge products, monitoring and tracking local government renewable energy transactions, and helping to identify emerging evaluation metrics for equity in clean energy programs. You may assist with maintaining and updating our Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) DevResults tool, which enables analysis and visualization of our results across our active projects to strengthen our ability to learn from data in real time to be aligned with the 2023–2027 WRI Strategic Plan. You may also help with creating data visuals, presentation decks, and outreach and assistance with the production of webinars and virtual events.
Internship Learning Outcomes:
- Synthesizing data analysis on a variety of global trends and programs to demonstrate progress toward the clean energy transition and highlight near-term opportunities for accelerating progress.
- Researching, drafting, and editing concept papers and memos to support international discussions on the clean energy transition.
- Providing research related to decarbonization of electricity supply, corporate clean energy demand, and carbon-free and innovative technologies.
- Supporting research on clean energy regulatory and policy frameworks in WRI’s focus countries.
- Tracking the latest energy transitions developments and discussions, including private and public sectors announcements, major policy and regulatory changes, procurement mechanisms, new market rules and emerging innovative technologies.
What you will need:
- Senior undergraduate or graduate student with strong data analysis skills.
- Some knowledge of global energy markets and clean energy issues, including clean energy technologies and policies and decarbonization efforts.
- Research, writing, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work remotely.
The pay for this internship opportunity is $20 for undergrads and $22 for graduates.
Length of Contract:
This is a part-time (2o hours/week), 6-month internship with a flexible start and end date.
- This is a remote-based internship with the option to work out of the Washington D.C. office once it reopens.
- WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by June 4, 2023. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender, racial, and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.