Consultant - Accounts, Operations
Consultant – Accountant, Operations
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being. The India Resources Trust has a license from WRI to use the trademark “WRI India”.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
World Resources Institute is seeking a Staff Accountant in carrying out the listed responsibilities of the Accounting department. The ideal candidate should be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail. The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the department and help the WRI to be fully aware of its financial condition.
Working with a collaborative team of 12 people, you will post and review accounting entries and determine the correct general ledger account, project codes, prepaid, fixed asset, etc. Due to our organizational size and culture, this position allows the opportunity for you to train and learn in other areas of accounting. Success for this role will require you to encompass a combination of influence, driving innovation, and working well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. The internal title for this position is Accountant I
- Updating daily accounts entries into Costpoint to include multiple business units and detailed projects as well as audit/edit invoices for accuracy
- Update accounts payable and perform reconciliations
- Bank reconciliations
- Review all accounts entries and posting of invoices for accuracy in coding, accruals, signature approvals and appropriate backup documentation.
- Research and resolve day to day issues related to Accounts Payable inquiries
- Attach payment conformation to the system
- Participate in month-end closing activities including journal entries and other analysis
- Reconciliation of assigned GL accounts
- Any additional responsibilities set by Management
- B.com in accounting; or equivalent accounting experience
- Working knowledge in SAP or Deltek or any other software-based accounting system other than tally will be an added advantage.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles, especially revenue recognition for non-profits with knowledge of FCRA will be added advantage.
- Knowledge of auditing practices and principles and ability to work independently and make financial decisions with ease
- Excellent organizational skills and with self-initiative skill will be preferred
- Strong quantitative, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem solver and trouble shooter with variable problem-solving abilities
- Computer skills: advanced proficiency in spreadsheets, Excel (Graphs, Marcos, and Pivot Tables) and MSOffice applications
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate accounting to non-accountants
- Customer Service Oriented – able to work with Programs staff as well as Grants & Contracts staff
Location: Mumbai, India
Duration: 12 Months (Extendable)
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.