Senior Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure
WHAT IS COOL ABOUT THIS JOB
At WP Engine, we are on a mission to help our customers win online. Whether that’s helping an aspiring entrepreneur to turn her hobby into an online business or a multinational corporation to launch a new campaign in weeks instead of months, our platform is there to help them win — whatever that means for them.
As a consequence of our focus on the customer, we have been blessed with explosive growth. This growth provides many opportunities at WP Engine to solve hard problems at scale, to deliver new products that continue to make WP Engine the platform of choice for online agility. You will be an essential part of taking our platform to the next level both in scale and functionality.
We are searching for a proven Software Engineer with a strong reliability mindset to join our Infrastructure Engineering team. Our infrastructure is both virtual and container based and consists of thousands of servers running on multiple public cloud providers that host over 500,000 customer web sites, serving 4 billion requests every day, reaching 5% of the world’s population. The ideal candidate will have a software engineering background and a history of applying software engineering skills to infrastructure problems in an agile, fast-paced environment.
THE DAY TO DAY
- Build and maintain APIs to aid in the management of our production environment
- Provide hands-on leadership in architecting solutions, building and enhancing our platform and applications in a service-oriented, highly scalable environment
- Produce quality, testable and maintainable systems
- Build and maintain infrastructure for serving WordPress on thousands of servers
- Design and maintain monitoring and alerting for global distributed systems
- Develop CI/CD pipelines for pushing code into production
- Propose and discuss the merits of infrastructure options
- Collaborate with development and operations team members
- Ensure we keep the talent bar high, and grow the skills and capabilities of your team as our engineering organization grows
- Leverage your extensive experience to provide leadership and mentorship
YOUR EXPERTISE AND PASSION
- Bachelors in CS or related field
- Extensive software engineering experience
- Working knowledge of ephemeral infrastructure, horizontal scaling, self-healing architectures, service discovery, logging, monitoring and alerting
- Exceptional quality mindset
- Extensive operational experience
- Ability to work with and switch between multiple languages; eg. Python, Go, Ruby and PHP.
- Experience with cloud providers and building automation around their APIs
- Competent with Ansible, Salt, Chef or Puppet
- Must thrive in a growing startup environment
Not required but a plus if you have experience with the following technologies:
- Kubernetes, Mesos, or other container orchestration software
- Time series databases such as InfluxDB, Prometheus or OpenTSDB
- Service discovery and distributed configuration - etcd, consul, zookeeper
THE PERKS & BENEFITS
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- IVF Benefits
- Paid Family Leave - 16 weeks for primary caregivers and 5 weeks for secondary caregivers fully paid
- 4% 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD, and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off?)
- Transportation (24x7 Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Tuesday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Check us out on social #wpeculture
To find out more information about WP Engine, please visit our Careers Page at wpengine.careers!