Since launching in 2010, WP Engine has become the world’s leading WordPress Digital Experience Platform (DXP), now with over 100,000 customers in 140 countries. We’re proud of the technology and service we offer our customers that move their businesses forward faster. At WP Engine, we strive to do the best work of our careers, and feel empowered to do what is right for our customers. We love investing in employee success and uncovering opportunities for you, the best, to get better. 99 percent of employees believe you’re made to feel welcome at WP Engine. Be you. Be here.
Are you an in-house attorney (or an attorney looking to move in-house) who is passionate about the legal issues affecting international, values-focused technology companies?
What's cool about this job.
This role will provide you an opportunity to work on a close-knit team working to scale rapidly growing technology company while having fun along the way.
As a team, our mission is to build value and champion the business as trusted legal advisors, innovators, and partners.
As Commercial Counsel, you will provide critical legal support to the company and its operations. Your responsibilities will be dynamic and will hinge on your subject matter expertise. They may include reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide range of agreements and advising the company on cutting-edge legal issues relating to data privacy, cybersecurity, compliance, employment matters, and software-as-a-service.
The day to day.
Your responsibilities may largely be based on your expertise, giving you the opportunity to contribute most effectively and meaningfully.
- Negotiate, structure, and manage numerous types of legal agreements, such as vendor, sales, partnership, licensing, and confidentiality.
- Ensure consistency of agreement terms with company goals and policies.
- Provide practical guidance to the business, balancing business objectives and legal risk.
- Maintain a solid understanding of the evolving domestic and international regulatory environments as they affect WP Engine. Act as a trusted adviser on compliance requirements and best practices.
- Work with the broader Legal team and other internal partners to develop and implement corporate legal-related policies. Train internal teams on these policies and monitor any necessary changes to department-level procedures.
Your skills and expertise.
- State bar member in good standing.
- 3-7 years of relevant legal experience in a law firm or in-house.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to craft solutions.
- Deep understanding of how to balance legal risk with business objectives.
- Ability to handle competing priorities and timelines based on larger company goals.
- Dedicated and comfortable providing advice and making decisions in a fast-changing environment.
- Intellectual curiosity about WP Engine’s services, and general knowledge of information technology, WordPress and software-as-a-service as a business model, and related legal issues a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly.
- Excellent teammate and collaborator, with a strong client service focus. You will need to be a trusted business partner and know when to ask questions within the Legal team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to effectively explain complex legal and/or regulatory concepts and guidelines to non-legal audiences.
The perks and benefits:
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off)
- Transportation (Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To find out more information about WP Engine, please visit our Careers Page at wpengine.careers!