Applications Developer - SQL Contract Role
Applications Developer - SQL
Worldwide Express is a global logistics company based in Dallas that has handled millions of package and freight shipments for more than 30,000 small to midsize businesses. With more than 150 franchises across the country, Worldwide Express is one of the largest authorized resellers of express shipping for UPS®, as well as a trusted freight partner to more than 55 carriers.
We are in a fast paced industry that draws motivated, quick thinking and proactive people. We nurture a culture where ideas, questions, challenges, open two-‐way communication and risk taking are welcomed. By remaining true to our core values of integrity and excellence, our culture is able to constantly evolve with changing market conditions. It allows us to be well positioned to serve our franchisees and their customers, as well as provide the continual training needed to keep everyone at the top of their game.
The Worldwide Express Applications Developer - SQL position is designed to be an integral part of the corporate and IT support structure. (bj268u)
The primary responsibility of the Senior Applications Developer is to work effectively as part of a multi-‐disciplinary technology delivery team to provide business technology development and support services and apply best-‐in-‐class practices to all efforts. The Senior Developer will join an enthusiastic, growing team that is dedicated to exceeding customer expectations and is working to move the company forward in all aspects of technology. This team is looking for the best collaborative talent – someone looking to have fun and be an integral member of a fast paced group, dedicated to producing quick results for the business.
As part of a continuous growth and learning cycle, this person will work to understand and support the shipping and logistics business, focusing on improving software platforms, data repositories and other corresponding systems. They will grow and maintain current skills as related to the development, management and administration of the data-‐driven applications supporting the business. They will utilize their technical knowledge, problem solving skills and communication skills to support strategic project efforts, the larger technology delivery team, and end customers and franchises. They will also collaborate with team members to add collective value to Worldwide’s business technology initiatives, and will enjoy the opportunity to contribute toward a wide array of technology projects.
• Understand and support the company’s proprietary systems, establishing yourself as a subject matter expert for the applications within a multi-functional technology delivery team.
• Take ownership of various aspects of the technology platforms and work to proactively maintain stable, up-‐to-‐date and optimally performing systems.
• Participate in planning, execution and testing of new application development, functional enhancements, system optimization, and integration of systems with 3rd party applications and data
• Actively monitor system performance and stability, taking measures to ensure maximum availability of systems and data to customers groups.
• Provide 3rd tier technical support for systems via phone, email and/or a desktop support application; may involve occasional after-‐hours and weekend support that would be required to address emergency issues.
• Respond to inquiries in a timely manner, according to procedure and protocol, and proactively communicate with managers, team members and technology support.
• Collaborate with internal and external resources (IT team members, vendors, 3rd party service providers, external system owners, franchises, etc.) in the application of technology to meet company business needs.
• Follow team methodologies and processes; Coordinate and manage database scripts, packages, code and versioning as required to support scheduled development product releases and enhancements
• Maintain a flexible, open attitude and a willingness to learn new technologies and working methodologies
• Extensive experience (4 + years) with progressive software development of customer facing business applications within a fast-‐paced environment.
• Experience developing applications against enterprise databases (Oracle 11g R2 or higher mandatory)
• A strong understanding of SQL, data querying, database structures, data optimization, file and data transport (SFTP, FTP, XML, web services, etc.) and best practices in data security/protection are expected
• Proven experience working with a development team supporting a multi-tier environment (Production, QA, Development)
• Exposure to an Oracle Application Express (APEX) development environment is a plus, but not mandatory
• Experience working within Linux server environments (Redhat 5.x and higher)
• Experience working with and supporting business intelligence environments is highly preferred
• Exposure to working within a team-‐based, Agile / Scrum development organization is highly preferred
• Attention to Detail
• Continuous Learning
• Customer Service
• Organizational Understanding
• Planning & Organizing/Time Management
• Problem Solving
• Team Oriented
Worldwide Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Worldwide Express Operations, LLC, and WWEX Franchise Holdings, LLC, (collectively “Worldwide Express”) strive to make employment decisions on the basis of merit, seeking the most qualified individuals in every job. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or ancestry, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other status protected by law. All employment decisions will be based on valid job requirements or other legitimate, non-discriminatory reasons. Worldwide Express offers reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in the job application and hiring process. If you would like to request such an accommodation, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources for Worldwide Express.
During the recruiting and hiring processes, Worldwide Express offers reasonable accommodations for individuals with a disability. If you want to request such an accommodation, contact the company Human Resources Department