In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as Telecommunications, including 5G; Industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining); Connected Healthcare and Medical Devices; Automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles); and Aerospace & Defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader.
Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Workplace.” If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world in a caring, respectful culture that is based on growth mindset, diversity, inclusion and customer focused, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This senior role will report directly to the Corporate CTO as a member of the CTO Office team and will be responsible for defining and driving cloud and virtualized RAN architecture, product specification and adoption across the various product and solution areas of the company’s business and associated development teams.
To be considered for this exciting role, candidates should have demonstrated experience building/architecting/deploying cloud-Native virtualized 4G and 5G RAN solutions while overcoming and accommodating challenges of scale, security, geographic reach in a production environment deployed in a public cloud, large enterprise, SaaS, or Telco operator’s premises.
This role will lead the transformation of our customers’ existing 5G solutions by extending them into the Cloud Native and virtualized spaces, as well as building new ones in greenfield deployments. This role and its impact are envisioned as a significant growth enabler for our company as it rapidly expands its reach into these areas. This position will have extensive visibility within the company not only into our engineering, sales and business development departments, but also with our executive management team. This role will be expected to have an equivalent presence in the external thought leadership domain as well as with customers across those levels.
- Lead architecture and engineering product development within a team consisting of cross-functional resources from multiple independent teams with an eye towards supporting a common framework for all development efforts
- Interface and coordinate with corporate executive leadership, and Wind River product management, business development and engineering teams
- Develop cloud-native, container and virtualized architectural frameworks that enable flexible application to Public, Private, Hybrid, Telco and Edge Cloud environments for vRAN and Edge Computing deployments
- Develop and promote best practices including operational and cultural, for our software development and architectural implementation teams across a diverse set of available internally developed, third-party, and open source tools, software components, libraries and services
- Assess, recommend and in some cases drive implementation of system refinements and advances based on a variety of architectural attributes
- Be a trusted advisor for our customers and partners both at an engineering level, but also interfacing with executive leadership.
- Lead in the refinement of our open and innovative development culture that is inquisitive and risk tolerant while remaining agile and goals-oriented
- Lead in the open source transformation within the StarlingX initiative, driving innovation, architectural improvement and fostering a true open source community approach.
- Remain up to date with the fast-paced evolution of the Cloud, vRAN and relevant software and hardware technology and security areas by participating in external standards, alliances and open source community development projects
- Effectively communicate with both visual and verbal real-time presentations well as packaged written specifications and documents both internally and externally
- Support the creation of cloud, telecom, and other key ecosystem partners, relationships, including business development and technology additions.
- Support CTO office M&A due diligence activities within the realm of this role’s expertise.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience designing and building large-scale virtualized vRAN and cloud RAN platforms and be intimately familiar with the challenges of integration, testing, validating, and deploying application and service components in these situations. The candidate will understand and drive the integration of these components where appropriate, into open source communities and projects, including the creation of new ones where needed
- 10-15 years designing and implementing large-scale distributed applications.
- 10-15 years demonstrated participation in the broader open-source community. Creation and leadership in these organizations is a plus.
- 3-5+ years of experience as a network operator including a deep understanding of network operations and deployment.
- 3+ years of Container and/or Cloud Function development (Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift, Lambda, VMware, etc.…)
- 10+ years of developing cloud, enterprise or Telco networking optimization (microservices, service mesh, CDN)
- CCIE, AWS, Microsoft, Google, VMware developer certification credentials are a plus
- Deep understanding of the various functional Cloud architectures (Public, Private, Hybrid, Telco, Edge)
- 3+ years managing small teams
- The ability to clearly demonstrate both internal and external though-leadership experience (i.e.: publicly available videos, blogs, podcasts, presentations, etc.…)
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.