Linux Engineer - Cloud
Wind River believes that some things are so important they simply cannot fail. That is why we exist. Wind River software has been running the computing systems of the most important critical infrastructure that demand the highest standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Found in more than 2 billion devices, Wind River is pioneering edge compute technologies to accelerate the evolution from automated devices to autonomous systems and we have a place for you!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based out of the Kanata R&D facility, the successful candidate will join a highly skilled development team delivering the world’s first telecom grade cloud platform, pioneering many new industry leading capabilities. The Wind River Cloud family of products is currently deployed with major service providers globally and is undergoing expansion to provide a cloud native platform for containerized applications in addition to supporting virtual machines and bare metal nodes
Interface & Collaboration
The successful candidate will work and collaborate with development and customer facing teams to ensure high levels of product quality.
- Contribute to a highly available, carrier grade platform which will be the platform of choice for highly distributed Edge solutions, including 5G, Industrial Automation and Augmented Reality
- Work with the most dynamic and exciting open source software projects today –Kubernetes (K8s), Docker, Helm, Openstack, Ansible, DPDK, etc.
- Work as part of a team focused on containerization, virtualization, accelerated networking and fault tolerant/carrier grade development
- Contribute actively to StarlingX, an open source project under the OpenStack Foundation - a fully featured cloud for the distributed edge (https://www.starlingx.io/)
- Maintain the Linux kernel, device drivers and third party packages, with a focus on a set of local patches and config options
- Evaluate reported vulnerabilities (CVEs) and apply upstream fixes to address them
- Conduct real-time kernel performance measurements and tuning
- Investigate and resolve issues reported during product verification and customer integration
The successful candidate must have several years of experience in software development and be a highly adaptable team player who can quickly ramp up on new technologies and accomplish goals in a fast-paced agile environment. A combination of strong technical and communication skills is a must.
- BSc / MSc degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree)
- 5+ years of relevant technical experience in software development
- Extensive experience with Linux kernel and device driver development and maintenance; ability to debug kernel issues
- Experience with real-time Linux kernel and performance tuning
- Experience with CentOS distributions and RPM
- Experience with git and maintaining patch sets
- Excellent programming skills using C and Python
- Some development experience with K8s containers and/or virtualization ( libvirt/qemu)
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional team player who works well in collaborative environments
- Self-managed, fast learner with the desire and ability to master new technologies
- Experience with evaluating emerging technologies, making recommendations on best options
- Familiarity with iterative and agile/scrum software development processes
- Exposure to other languages (Ansible, Puppet, SQL, and Shell Scripting) would be an asset
- Contribution to the open source community would be an asset
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Onsite Fitness room
- Discounted onsite yoga classes
- Optional enrollment in our Group RRSP plan
- Organic fruits and veggies twice a week
- Bagels every Wednesday
- Stocked fridges with free drinks
- Discounted onsite massages every Wednesday
- Walking trails around the golf course
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.