Principal Technologist - Senior Linux Architect
Principal Technologist - Senior Linux Architect
Wind River is a global leader in delivering software for mission-critical intelligent systems. For more than four decades, the company has been an innovator and pioneer, powering billions of systems that require the highest levels of security, safety, and reliability.
Wind River helps customers across automotive, aerospace, defense, industrial, medical, and telecommunications industries solve complex technology challenges on their journey toward the new intelligent machine economy. The company’s software powers generation after generation of the safest, most secure systems in the world. Examples include playing a key role in NASA space missions — such as Artemis I, the James Webb Space Telescope, and multiple Mars rovers — and in recent 5G milestones — including the world’s first successful 5G data session with Verizon and in building one of the largest Open RAN networks in the world with Vodafone.
The company has received industry recognition for its technology innovation and leadership, and for its workplace culture, including global Great Place to Work certification and being named a “Top Workplace” for ten consecutive years. If you want to be part of a unique culture where the lived experience is based on our cultural attributes of growth mindset, customer-focus, and diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging, come join us and help advance the future software defined world.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River Systems is seeking a seasoned senior experienced operating system architect for a position as the Open-Sourced Operating System WR Linux’s Principal Technologist. As a member of the Linux team, the chosen candidate will join a team of dynamic, dedicated and highly experienced OS engineers responsible for the constant evolution of the Linux Platform product of Wind River. The chosen candidate will participate in high level architecture design of features and development of Wind River Linux product; and will need to demonstrate superior understanding of the operating system, as well as having the interpersonal skills to work with diverse group of product managers, architects, and external functional teams.
What you’ll do
Utilizing your extensive experience around Linux and the open-source community, you will have the opportunity to architect the Wind River Linux product with a focus on enabling customer features in the community and product.
Who You Will Work With:
- Product Line Managers and Engineering Project Managers and other architects to plan ongoing future development
- Product Line Managers, Sales and customer architects to determine software requirements
- Wind River Customers
- This position will report to the Director of Engineering
- Work closely with customers and open-source community to enable customer requested features in the community and product
- Design new product features based on software requirements
- Work with other architects to define technical roadmap for WR Linux
- Research, designs, and writes specifications and methodologies in cooperation with other architects
- Works closely with Product Line Manager and Engineering Project Manager and other architects to plan ongoing feature development
- Works with Product Line Management, Sales, and customer architects to determine software requirements
- Generates technical documentation and contributes to product requirements
- Generates outward facing whitepapers, blogs, presentations and talks
- Investigates new technologies and techniques and research ongoing industry developments
- Assists in project management decisions
- Mentors more junior developers in technology, industry best practices, procedures, and concepts
- Minimal 20+ years of experience of operating system experience
- Significant experience in a senior technical / architect role, extensive experience in Linux software development both in User Space, Kernel and BSP development
- Significant experience working with and participating in Open-Source Communities and working effectively in an open-source development environment
- Experience with Embedded Linux Open-Sourced Yocto community project preferred
- Experience driving architectural software directions from a system viewpoint
- Broad experience with all aspects of Linux OS
- Familiarity with STIG, FACE, SDL/SSDF, FIPs and other security standards and asset
- In-depth knowledge of Open-Source Linux Security related components such as Certificate signing, Cryptography, Secure Boot, OpenSSL, OpenSAF, OpenCL, SELinux, etc…
- Familiarity with Agile development and Dev Ops a significant asset
- Strong embedded software development experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication, teamwork, and leadership skills
- Comfortable and flexible on working in a distributed development environment with regular business travel
- Proven ability to work across many technology areas, act proactively and own a problem
- Experience working closely with customers to assess their requirements
- Able to enthusiastically work, interact with and educate diverse groups such as sales, marketing, business development, partners, support, etc.
- Flexible home office! We offer the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule or 100% remote
- Named Top Workplace for the 8th year in a row
- Wind River’s commitment to DEIB
- 100% Employee covered Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance*
- Flexible Time Off policy** + 12 observed Holidays
- 401K with company match
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Wellness Benefits through Unmind
*varies by region and country
** varies by region and countryThe annual base salary range for this role’s listed grade level is currently $179,400- $242,000 plus bonus for Colorado residents, $179,400 - $242,000 plus bonus for New York and New Jersey residents, and $184,600 – $249,000 plus bonus for California and Washington residents. Salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, location and abilities of the applicant, and equity with other team members. Employees in this role are also eligible for the following benefits in accordance with the terms of the Company's plans: health, dental, vision insurance, life insurance, flex time off, eligibility to enroll in 401k, 12 paid holidays.
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.