Senior Embedded Linux Engineer
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River Professional Services has been helping clients implement great innovations, increase ROI and reduce time to market for more than 40 years. We have an excellent opportunity for an Embedded Software Engineer to work on cutting-edge development projects in Kista, Sweden on-site with an important customer as part of our respected Professional Services team of highly skilled engineers.
The ideal candidate will have proven skills in development of embedded software for embedded hardware systems using Linux. The job requires solid people skills for interaction with customers and Wind River services project teams. The qualified candidate will be self-driven with relevant embedded software experience that can be applied to a variety of new processor and peripheral devices. The candidate must have sufficient experience with Wind River Linux products, both kernel and userspace, or at least experience on Yocto/bitbake, to provide direct assistance to end-user customers. Your contributions in the role will play a critical part in our Network Professional Services team helping our customers create mission-critical systems.
- Work with customer teams in Design, implementation, and validation of embedded software, e.g. Board Support Packages (BSP) for custom and/or COTS embedded hardware systems
- Work with customer teams in Design, implementation, and test of software drivers for a variety of peripheral devices commonly used in embedded hardware systems.
- Work with customer teams in the development of hardware test code, support bring-up, and validation of custom embedded hardware systems.
- Perform system-level trouble shooting (kernel crashes/panic/stalls, performance issues, build issues, user space application issues) and provide timely bug fixes or workarounds
- Ability of working with open-source community, pushing fixes upwards and communicating with community maintainers
- Manage the mitigation of security CVE's Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE patches scanning, investigating, backporting, etc)
- Provide customer site support
- Work independently on customer site managing day to day interactions
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or equivalent in a related subject area
- Minimum of 8 years of embedded software design experience, a significant portion of which is with Linux (preferably Yocto-based Linux).
- Experience with low level embedded SW (e.g. BSPs and device drivers) development, debugging/troubleshooting
- Experience using embedded software development environments
- Experience using devops-type workflow tools like Jenkins, Github/lab, Docker
- Experience in custom embedded hardware bring up
- Strong C programming experience
- Advanced GIT experience at repo maintainer level
- Software development experience on one or more common embedded processor types (x86, ARM, PowerPC etc.)
- Ability to work with Uboot / bootloader.
- Comfortable with Python script language.
- Prior customer success management experience a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a track record of completing software development tasks on time and ability to interact and manage communication with Customers, Partners and internally.
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to learn
- Solid decision-making skills and judgment – can be depended upon to meet goals, foresee and avert problems
- Experience with Multicore & Virtualization architectures a plus.
- Should be a hands-on type of person with the initiative to dive in and do whatever is necessary to get the task completed.
- Experience with Networking/Telecom systems and/or NFV.
- Any experience with Cloud technologies (Kubernetes, StarlingX, AWS/Azure etc) a bonus.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Birthday and Volunteer Time off
- Excellent Pension plan
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Technical Training
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.