Open Source OS Architect
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
What you’ll do:
As a software architect with the Open Source OS team, you will be responsible for architecting the OS used in our Wind River Cloud Platform product. You will propose and design technical solutions to implement the product strategy and vision and to solve key customer challenges and requirements. You will write specifications and design documents and you will work with the development engineering team to ensure the end solution matches the vision. You will engage with external and internal customers, as well as the open source community, to present solutions and problem solve key challenges and issues.
Who You Will Work With:
- The successful candidate will work closely with a highly respected and knowledgeable Linux OS and WRCP development teams
- In this position, there will also be regular interaction with product development, sales, customers and other engineering teams
- This position will report to the Engineering Director of Open Source OS
Including but not limited to:
- Design of overall OS solutions Wind River Cloud Products
- Works with other architects to define technical roadmap for WR Linux and WRCP OS
- Contributes to the open source community with the aim of advancing the community
- Researches, designs, and writes specifications and methodologies in cooperation with other architects
- Works closely with Product Line Manager and Engineering Project Manager and other architects to plan ongoing feature development
- Works with Product Line Management, Sales, and customer architects and architects from other engineering teams to determine software requirements
- Generates technical documentation and contributes to product requirements
- Generates outward facing whitepapers, blogs, presentations and talks
- Investigates new technologies and techniques and researches ongoing industry developments
- Assists in scoping of effort for new development
- Mentors more junior developers in technology, industry best practices, procedures, and concepts
- Significant experience in a senior technical / architect role, extensive experience in Linux software development
- Significant experience working with and participating in Open Source Communities and working effectively in an open-source development environment
- Experience driving architectural software directions from a system viewpoint
- Experience working with cloud native technologies, and in particular container technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Minikube, Pulp, Helm, etc.
- Familiarity with Agile development and Dev Ops a significant asset
- Experience with Yocto, StarlingX, Open Stack, OBS and/or Debian an asset
- Strong embedded software development experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication, teamwork, and leadership skills
- Comfortable working in a distributed development environment with regular business travel
- Proven ability to work across many technology areas, act proactively and own a problem
- Able to enthusiastically work, interact with and educate diverse groups such as sales, marketing, business development, partners, support, etc.
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.