Embedded Developer – Customer Success
ABOUT STAR LAB
“In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Star Lab is pioneering technologies to protect mission-critical systems and devices from sophisticated cyber threats. Armed with a long, successful track record securing combat systems, we employ a modern zero-trust systems security engineering approach that leverages cutting-edge security hardware and software protections.
Our products are designed at the outset to handle worst-case threat scenarios. We prevent attackers from tampering with and altering software and firmware and severely limit maneuverability, to ensure that mission-critical systems remain resilient and operate normally even during an attack. “Our software has a proven track record securing mission-critical systems in aerospace and defense and is emerging in other important markets such as industrial, medical, and telecommunications.”
If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world in a caring, respectful culture that is based on a growth mindset, startup mentality, and customer-focused, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!”
About the opportunity
Star Lab is seeking an experienced high-performing Senior Engineer to support embedded and Board Support Package (BSP) development, Real-Time Operating System (RTOS) integration, and system analysis using Wind River Simics, a full-system simulator.
The ideal candidate will have proven skills in development of embedded software for embedded hardware systems. The job requires solid people skills for interaction with Star Lab customers and internal teams like project managers, sales, & engineering. The qualified candidate will be self-driven with relevant embedded RTOS software experience that can be applied to a variety of new processor and peripheral devices.
The successful candidate must have sufficient experience with current VxWorks (preferred) and Linux and be a highly adaptable team player who can quickly ramp up on new technologies and accomplish goals in a fast-paced agile environment. A combination of strong technical and communication skills is a must.
US Citizens Only
This position is based in Huntsville, AL.
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with design, implementation, and validation of embedded software, e.g. Board Support Packages (BSP) for custom and/or COTS embedded hardware systems
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with design, implementation, and test of software drivers for a variety of peripheral devices commonly used in embedded hardware systems.
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with the development of hardware test code, support bring-up, and validation of custom embedded hardware systems.
- Work independently on customer site managing day to day interactions
- Support integrations of embedded and real-time code and tool suites with tools like Gitlab, Jenkins, JIRA, and others in a modern DevOps environment.
- Modify user interfaces and reporting options for these tools as required to support customer needs.
- 5+ years working in software development, customer support, or professional services.
- 5+ years of experience in developing Board Support Packages, ideally with VxWorks.
- BS/MS degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree).
- Excellent programming and debugging skills (C++, Python, Bash).
- Experience with Linux and VxWorks Real Time Operating Systems and architectures.
- Strong Linux kernel fundamentals.
- Ability to work in highly technical, fast-paced environment.
- Hands-on usage of Git and Jenkins.
- Experience with Linux software development.
- Solid understanding of software engineering workflows and developer tools.
- US Citizen with current or recent past security clearance (Secret level) required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or equivalent in a related subject area.
- Minimum of 5 years of embedded software design experience, a significant portion of which is with VxWorks, Simics, and Linux.
- Experience with custom embedded board bring up (e.g. BSPs and device drivers), boot-time optimization, and low level embedded SW development, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- Experience using embedded software development environments (e.g. Wind River Workbench, Eclipse).
- Software development experience on one or more common embedded processor types (x86, ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a track record of completing software development tasks on time.
- Solid decision-making skills and judgment – can be depended upon to meet goals, foresee, and avert problems.
- Should be a hands-on type of person with the initiative to dive in and do whatever is necessary to get the task completed.
- Knowledge of serial and parallel bus protocols (I2C, SPI, QSPI, GPIO).
- Experience with Wind River Simics modeling tool and concepts.
- Experience with device driver modeling and development.
- Working knowledge of Solid State Storage Flash devices (NAND, NOR, SD Card).
- Should be a hands-on type of person with the initiative to dive in and do whatever is necessary to get the task completed with limited supervision.
- Comfort engaging with U.S. government customers as well as partners also supporting the government.
Special Clearance Requirements
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements.
Applicant Privacy Notice
At Wind River, we value your privacy. As part of our compliance with applicable data privacy laws, please see Wind River's Applicant Privacy Notice, as set forth here: https://www.windriver.com/company/terms/applicant-privacy
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.