Lab Operations Intern
Engineering internship personnel will work with senior engineering to install, maintain, debug, and upgrade our software development lab. This development lab consists of hundreds of machines ranging from embedded boards, to servers, and networking gear, in various configurations. You will assist teams that use this lab to develop Wind River’s software products that include virtualization, IoT, real-time operating systems and performing test automation.
Lab Operations covers many aspects of computing, including software, operating systems (especially Linux), firmware, hardware, upgrades, installation, fiber optics, networking, IPv6, virtualization, database and other technologies. You must be willing to experiment with various new technologies and occasionally do some physical work installing, cabling and debugging hardware.
Knowledge of Linux system administration and the BASH concepts. The ability to script in BASH, Expect, Python or Perl will help. All engineering interns should be innovative, self-motivated, and should be able to work with minimal supervision after receiving initial direction from higher-level engineers.
- Work with senior engineering personnel to assist in the resolution of lab issues. These include software configuration, network booting of devices, debugging hardware, upgrading firmware of devices and BIOS
- Help internal teams use the labs effectively
- Use scripting and monitoring tools to identify lab issues and proactively fix issues
- Complete moderately complex tasks in a timely fashion with minimal supervision
- Currently pursuing a Comp. Sci., Electrical Eng. or IT degree/diploma
- Passion for learning and research
- Mechanical aptitude
- Ability to take instruction, share findings and results and work well with others
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Classroom, practical (internship or co-op) or applied computer and networking experience including Windows, UNIX/Linux, networking skills (Cisco and Linux desired) and scripting programming skills
- Experience with personal computers including Linux, embedded devices and systems
- Commitment and self-motivation
Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, IT
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.