Lead Data Scientist
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 7 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River Systems is seeking an experienced high-performing lead data scientist for a team developing a hybrid cloud-based data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence platform. This is a data science software all-rounder role. The core purpose of the role is to build, evolve, and deploy analytical models to improve the products, the customer experience, and ultimately the business.
The successful candidate will join a highly skilled development team delivering internal and external tools and technologies across a complete analytics-driven DevSecOps platform, pioneering many new industry-leading capabilities. They will collaborate cross-functionally with data warehouse software engineers, architects, technologists, product managers, development, and customer-facing teams to deliver intelligent cloud analytics solutions across a wide portfolio of class-leading products, in many industry verticals, and ensure high performance, usability, and product quality.
- Lead and contribute technically on projects to iteratively conceive, implement, validate, and fine-tune data science models for intelligent edge solutions to solve a range of development and systems problems, such as:
- Streamlining development and evolution of industrial AI/ML models to execute in devices.
- Contribute to the design and evolution of a high-quality, secure data architecture and infrastructure, upon which future data science can flourish.
- Mentor and help to up-skill other analytical team members on advanced data science techniques.
- Iteratively extract, wrangle, and analyze data from development tools (like Gitlab, Jenkins, Jira, and many more).
- Iteratively extract, wrangle, and analyze data from real devices in the labs and the real world (like planes, trains, automobiles, and many more).
- Develop visualizations and interactive features for these analytics.
- Keep up with emerging research, practice, and communities in machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies.
Core Competencies, Demonstrated Success & Qualifications
(this role may be filled at a higher level for a highly qualified candidate)
- BSc / MSc / PhD degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical/Software Engineering, Analytics, Applied Math or Physics, or other STEM field) or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of data science experience: prototyping, developing, validating, scaling, and deploying machine learning models into products for real customers.
- 8+ years working in software development arena.
- Experience leading and contributing technically on data science projects and defending modeling approaches and algorithm selections.
- Exceptional team player with a track record of successful collaborations and working well in diverse, distributed agile environments.
- Strong understanding of software product development processes and software team communication / coordination approaches.
- Blend of technical expertise and soft skills including business acumen, decision making, and well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable skills in SQL and Python.
- Proficiency in developing a variety of data science models (clustering, classification, regression, neural nets, NLP, time series, anomaly detection, etc.).
- Strong foundational knowledge in statistics and mathematics.
- Self-managed, fast learner with the desire and ability to master new technologies.
It will be great if you also have:
- Software Engineering experience: the full development lifecycle and processes, agile project management tools (e.g. Jira), software development IDEs (e.g. VS Code, Gitlab), and CM/CI/CD tools (e.g. Git, Jenkins).
- Real-time analytics experience: receiving and analyzing streaming data from distributed devices and applications (not just processing data at rest).
- Advanced analytics expertise (e.g. deep learning, explainable AI, fairness).
- Experience working for companies engaged with autonomous devices: can be in any relevant vertical market.
- Experience with Nifi / Kafka / Postgres / Hadoop / Linux / AWS / Azure / Kubernetes / Docker.
- Familiarity with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) and RTOS development tools.
- History of open source contributions and/or volunteering on professional committees.
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.