Member of Technical Staff - Linux Kernel Engineer
ABOUT WIND RIVER
Wind River is a global leader in delivering software for mission-critical intelligent systems. For more than four decades, the company has been an innovator and pioneer, powering billions of systems that require the highest levels of security, safety, and reliability. Wind River helps customers across automotive, aerospace, defense, industrial, medical, and telecommunications industries solve complex technology challenges on their journey toward the new intelligent machine economy.
The company’s software powers generation after generation of the safest, most secure systems in the world. Examples include playing a key role in NASA space missions — such as Artemis I, the James Webb Space Telescope, and multiple Mars rovers — and in recent 5G milestones — including the world’s first successful 5G data session with Verizon and in building one of the largest Open RAN networks in the world with Vodafone.
The company has received industry recognition for its technology innovation and leadership, and for its workplace culture, including global Great Place to Work certification and being named a “Top Workplace” for ten consecutive years. If you want to be part of a unique culture where the lived experience is based on our cultural attributes of growth mindset, customer focus, and diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging, come join us and help advance the future software-defined world.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The team you will represent is pivotal to Wind River Linux's strategy in various industrial-embedded operating system domains. Your contribution in this role will impact the success of the top customers of Wind River as well as Wind River Linux Product.
The focus of this role is to add new features, and fix defects reported by customers, QA, and internal users on different components of the Wind River Linux Operating Systems, to be used in Automotive, A&D, Industrial, and medical applications. You will also be able to interact with the open-source community by submitting and reviewing changes.
Interface & Collaboration
Report directly to the Local Engineering Manager
You will be an integral part of the Wind River Linux Operating System Team in India
You will collaborate with Professional Service, Customer Support, Technical Leads, as well as Quality Assurance engineers, and other WRLinux OS group team members.
- Resolve customer-reported issues under SLA (Service Level Agreement).
- Resolve escalations and TSRs (Technical Support Requests) from customers.
- Fix defects reported by QA, and internal users.
- Backport security fixes to resolve issues and monitor incoming reports.
- Integrate open-source or independent software vendors' software components.
- Design and implement use cases for various Linux components.
Core Competencies & Demonstrated Success
- Strong troubleshooting ability.
- A self-motivated person with high responsibility.
- A good understanding of Linux is required.
- Experience in developing and implementing features to meet industrial standards in order to pass conformance testing will be a plus.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related majors.
- At least 8-10+ years Linux platform working experience, including hardware enablement and kernel development work.
- Developing experience and familiarity with language: Assembly, C, C++, python, Rust, go and Shell programming.
- Experience with Linux Kernel, UEFI/BIOS, uboot/grub, PCI, USB, networking, storage, graphics drivers, as well as any embedded SOC specific functionalities such as CAN bus, etc.
- Experience with git is required.
- Experience with container technology, including docker, Kubernetes, Helm ...etc.
- Have knowledge and experience on Linux distributions (RHEL, Debian, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Yocto etc.)
- Skilled in hardware debugging tools such as ICE and jtag tools.
- Skilled in various debugging tools under Linux, for example, ftrace, kdump, crash, and gdb.
- Deep understanding of processor architectures: x86 and/or ARM.
- Good understanding of Agile and DevOps concepts.
- Workplace Flexibility: Hybrid Work.
- Medical insurance: Group Medical Insurance coverage.
- Additional shared cost medical benefit in the form of reimbursements.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Vacation and Time off: Employees are eligible for various types of paid time off.
- Additional Time off – Birthday, Volunteer Time off, Wedding.
- Wellness Benefits through Unmind
- Carrot (Family -forming support)
Applicant Privacy Notice
At Wind River, we value your privacy. As part of our compliance with applicable data privacy laws, please see Wind River's Applicant Privacy Notice, as set forth here: https://www.windriver.com/company/terms/applicant-privacy
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.