Field Application Engineer
Sr, Field Application Engineer - Aerospace & Defense
Location: West Coast, USA
US Citizens Only
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as Telecommunications, including 5G; Industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining); Connected Healthcare and Medical Devices; Automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles); and Aerospace & Defense. We were
recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud, and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Workplace.” If you’re
passionate about amplifying your impact on the world in a caring, respectful culture that is based on growth mindset, diversity, inclusion, and customer focused, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
You will work closely with account managers on key accounts and strive to become the trusted technical advisor to our customers by understanding their business needs and addressing those needs through Wind River’s products and services.
You must have experience in embedded software engineering, preferably within Aerospace and Defense sectors. You should be capable of understanding customers’ problems and be able to effectively communicate solutions using our product offerings and services.
You should also know and have experience of software project development cycles and have been exposed to project management.
Some travel within the US will be required.
Interface & Collaboration
Working with the leading provider of integrated embedded software solutions, you will work with some of the most talented engineers in the Aerospace & Defense industry to draft technical solutions to challenging problems.
As our customers look to gain a competitive advantage in this digital first world, they are looking to companies like Wind River to partner within their journey. Wind River is answering this call through our delivery of the world’s first Cloud Native Environment that enables developers of intelligent edge devices to transform and optimize their device life cycle from Development to Deployment, to Operations, and Servicing.
Your opportunity is to join as a key member of highly talented and highly motivated field engineering team. You will be responsible for understanding our customers business and technical needs and to work with them in the capacity of technical evangelist and trusted advisor in crafting the next generation Intelligent systems.
As an experienced Field Application Engineer and system architect in a customer facing role, you will be guiding your customer through their Digital Transformation journey. Responsibilities include understanding their technical needs, architecting technical solutions, and demonstrating them
through product presentations, proof of concepts, and evaluations.
You will engage with customers in a consultative and business led approach striving to help them maximize their business transformation goals through aligning with Wind River’s Intelligent systems.
You will focus on crafting ideal technical solutions and business strategy that is win-win for customers and Wind River.
Core Competencies & Demonstrated Success
- Embedded software development and system architecture experience in a Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) environment using VxWorks and Linux is required.
- Strong C/C++ development, debugging, and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with Wind River Simics Modeling and Simulation is a plus.
- Familiarity with flight safety DO-178C standards, networking fundamentals and US government cyber security standards is a plus.
- Familiarity with other languages such as Ada/Java/Python/Rust/Perl is a plus.
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently.
- Curious and interested in learning new skills with an openness to communicating with Account Managers, Engineering, Field Engineering leaders and others to learn what you don’t know.
- Experience with Cloud Native technologies including Kubernetes, containers, microservices, etc., and a good understanding of AWS and Azure cloud infrastructure is strongly preferred.
- Some experience with DevSecOps development methodologies including an understanding of tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Docker etc.
- Some amount of travel will be required
BSCS or BSEE is required
5+ years of embedded software development or solutions architecting, preferably within an Aerospace & Defense technology marketplace
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements
- Flexible home office! We offer the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule or 100% remote
- Named Top Workplace for the 8th year in a row
- Wind River’s commitment to DEIB
- 100% Employee covered Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance*
- Flexible Time Off policy** + 12 observed Holidays
- 401K with company match
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Wellness Benefits through Unmind
*varies by region and country
** varies by region and country
This role is part of our Sales organization and has an On Target Earnings (OTE) consisting of 70% base salary plus a 30% variable commission. Overachievement of the variable portion is possible. The OTE range for this role’s listed grade level is currently $166,700- $225,080 for Colorado, New York (except NYC) and New Jersey residents, and $172,900-233,380 for Northern California (SF Bay Area), NYC, Washington, DC, and Washington State residents. Salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, location and abilities of the applicant, and equity with other team members. Employees in this role are also eligible for the following benefits in accordance with the terms of the Company's plans: health, dental, vision insurance, life insurance, flex time off, eligibility to enroll in 401k, 12 paid holidays.
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.