Build System Engineer - Cloud
What We Do
We have some exciting technologies that we get to work with at Wind River. Within the Wind River Cloud team, we have the opportunity to work with large-scale projects like Kubernetes, Docker and OpenStack. These are vibrant and fast-paced Open Source technologies that are in high demand from our customers. Wind River Cloud has adopted these technologies into the core of our product, which is driving us to find experienced and high-performing individuals that can learn and contribute to these container and virtualization solutions. In addition, Wind River Cloud is a leading contributor to the StarlingX project, to manage and maintain the critical infrastructure for highly distributed Edge solutions, include 5G, Autonomous Vehicles, Industrial Automation and Augmented Reality. Wind River contributes and builds upon the work within StarlingX to ensure it meets the demands of these critical applications. Finally, managing the highly fluid and distributed architecture requires new insights to the operational performance of the system. This has given rise to the introduction of leading-edge analytics that are being designed to provide the needed visibility and observability to the platform. Analytics is bringing new and innovative technologies into the Wind River Cloud product portfolio, expanding on the already broad set of software that we get to work on within the highly skilled development team.
What You’ll Do
The Wind River Cloud team is seeking an experienced high-performing build system engineer for a position developing and extending our software build system for our Wind River Cloud portfolio of products. Based out of the Kanata R&D facility, the successful candidate will join a highly skilled development team delivering cloud platforms.
- Maintain and extend our software build system both for the Wind River Cloud product portfolio as well as the StarlingX upstream project
- Interface with the design team, QA team, architects, and StarlingX community to ensure our software infrastructure meets their needs
- Work with the most dynamic and exciting open source software projects today – Kubernetes (K8s), Docker, Helm, Openstack, Ansible, Ceph, etc.
- Contribute actively to StarlingX, an open source project under the OpenStack Foundation - a fully featured cloud for the distributed edge (https://www.starlingx.io/)
- BSc / MSc degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree)
- 5+ years of relevant technical experience in Linux software development with at least 2 years in build system design and maintenance
- Experience with continuous build systems like Jenkins or equivalent
- Excellent programming skills using bash, Python and scripting languages
- Experience with git, repo, mock, rpmbuild, Docker is required
- Experience with building a distro (OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian) and with OpenSUSE Build Service and Koji would be an asset.
- Experience with Golang, yum, loci, pypi would be an asset.
- Some development experience with containers and/or cloud based technologies including Open Stack.
- Strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with evaluating emerging technologies, making recommendations on best options.
- Contribution to the open source community would be an asset.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Onsite Fitness room
- Extended Health Care Coverage
- Deferred profit sharing plan
- Discounted onsite yoga classes
- Optional enrollment in our Group RRSP plan
- Organic fruits and veggies twice a week
- Bagels every Wednesday
- Stocked fridges with free drinks
- Discounted onsite massages every Wednesday
- Walking trails around the golf courses
- Virgin pulse
- Birthdays off
Why Choose Wind River?
Wind River believes that some things are so important they simply cannot fail. That is why we exist. Wind River software has been running the computing systems of the most important critical infrastructure that demand the highest standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Found in more than 2 billion devices, Wind River is pioneering edge compute technologies to accelerate the evolution from automated devices to autonomous systems. We have a spot for you!
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.