Linux Kernel Developer
Work location is flexible in North America.
Why Choose Wind River?
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformation of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems in an AI-first world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and sell at the solutions level.
If you have past experience working on the Linux kernel and are looking to challenge and grow these skills, you are well suited for this role. As a Linux kernel developer at Wind River you will have opportunities in our R&D organization to assist in bringing new products to market, keeping our products safe and secure and contributing to solutions throughout the organization and install base.
What you’ll do:
Wind River Systems is seeking a Linux Kernel Developer and Maintainer to join the Wind River Linux Platform team. As a member of the Linux team, the chosen candidate will join a team of dynamic, dedicated and highly experienced OS engineers responsible for the constant evolution of the Linux platforms used at Wind River. The chosen candidate will participate in the development of Wind River Linux-based products and will need to demonstrate superior attention to detail as well as a relentless concern for implementing robust, high performance and quality software.
Who You Will Work With:
The Linux Kernel Developer will work in the R&D team alongside other Linux developers and partner with architecture and QA teams in the organization to develop and maintain kernel features for the Wind River Cloud Platform product.
- Work on the Linux kernel
- Review and apply Linux kernel patches such as CVEs to ensure kernel quality, security, and performance
- Work with the kernel on several architectures and handle board specific changes to the kernel
- Design, develop, code, test and debug system software
- Review code and design
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources
- Integrate and validate new product designs
- Complete functional testing of new designs
- Support software QA and optimize I/O performance
- Assist in suggesting, developing and testing kernel 'tunings' with a focus on isolation, and performance metrics such as throughput and interrupt latency
- Provide postproduction support
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Strong C programming skills, especially on resource-constrained devices and platforms
- Deep knowledge of the Linux Kernel internals
- Strong working knowledge of git, crash-util, kdb, disassembly
- Experience with contributing and collaboration with open-source communities and especially with kernel.org
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets
- Proven experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong documentation & writing skills
- Experience with virtualization or containerization
- Knowledge or experience with Agile development workflows
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.