Linux Engineering Manager
Linux Engineering Manager
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
What you’ll do
You will have the opportunity to lead and manage a team of Linux engineers responsible for the development of Linux Cloud based Telecommunication infotainment solutions.
Who You Will Work with:
- A team of like-minded development and program managers to coordinate the work, ensuring on-time delivery of projects and products.
- Regular interfacing with other teams such as QA, Test, Engineering Operations, Product Management, and Product Support
- This position will report to the Director of Engineering for Open Source OS.
- Managing a team of Linux developers contributing to ongoing releases of Wind River Cloud Linux-based Operating System Software including career planning, goal setting, performance assessment, coaching, performance improvement, compensation, conflict resolution, and other people management tasks.
- Work with Engineering Program Manager on project plans and status updates for Project Management of various Wind River Cloud Linux telecommunication projects and maintenance. .
- Working and interact with other development teams, technical managers, engineering program manager, and support organization, and account product managers, to coordinate work and assure ensure on time delivery of features, bug fixes and projects.
- Process improvement, and implementation for the direct team and overall department.
- Contributing to budget and/or resource allocation and monitoring
- Interfacing to various other parts of the company such as QA, Test, Engineering Operations, and Product Management
- 7-9+ years of relevant software development experience. Experience in Linux as a enterprise software operating system.
- 5+ years people/project management as part of a larger team with interdependent responsibilities in an engineering environment.
- Development engineering management skills as demonstrated by experience in planning and leading multiple engineering projects in an Agile, CI/CD environmentusing modern project management techniques; building and motivating a development team to accomplish progressively aggressive goals; and superior skills in diagnosing and solving typical development issues.
- Personal skills such as: time planning and organization; nimbleness; verbal and written communications; effectiveness as a team member; enthusiastic leadership; personal drive, energy, resourcefulness, and perseverance; integrity; adaptability to new and uncertain environments; a desire to improve practices and processes; and enthusiastic leadership.
- Ability to be an effective member of a team of managers including: a drive to accomplish the collective goals of the team; the ability to fairly and effectively negotiate; and an attitude that puts the good of the team ahead of one's individual needs when required.
- Experience in people management including career planning; performance assessments; performance improvement; setting and evaluating goals; compensation; and general care of development engineers.
- Relevant technical BS degree.
- Business/management degree or coursework desirable. (Experience can substitute)
Why Choose Wind River?
Wind River believes that some things are so important they simply cannot fail. That is why we exist. Wind River software has been running the computing systems of the most important critical infrastructure that demand the highest standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Found in more than 2 billion devices, Wind River is pioneering edge compute technologies to accelerate the evolution from automated devices to autonomous systems. We have a spot for you!
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.