Product Development Engineer - R&D
The Product Development Engineer will be involved in evaluating raw materials used in laminate/compact, and resins. This position will be directly involved in the efforts to study the interaction between the resins with kraft paper, and core substrates. The product development engineer will also be involved in the testing of raw materials to gain understanding of the properties of laminate/compact affected by any process changes. The Product Development Engineer will also develop and test new products or enhances existing products, applying knowledge of engineering. This role will also implement new projects from inception to completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops test specifications, procedures and objectives.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate design proposals for improving performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development, standardization, and quality control.
- Assist in the formulation of overall objectives, policies, plans and programs and provides technical and specialized functional services and recommendations for carrying them out.
- Determines nature of technical problems (using root cause analysis) and possible solutions, such as product redesign, substitution of material or parts, or rearrangement of parts or subassemblies.
- Analyzes indicated and calculated test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
- Initiates cost reduction proposals and investigates proposals from other sources, compiles appropriate information, makes recommendations for action and checks on results obtained
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written forms at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to carry out tasks completely, efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Skill in mathematics.
- Knowledge of manufacturing process.
- Skill in utilizing spreadsheets, word processors and databases.
- Knowledge of chemical and physical principles.
Education: Bachelor's Degree required in Chemistry, Material Science or closely related field. Master's Degree in similar field is preferred.
Experience: Knowledge of Product Development processes from either work experience or coursework is required.
Wilsonart is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.