Operational Excellence Lead
The Operational Excellence Lead is responsible for promoting and facilitating a culture of Continuous Improvement, executing projects, and facilitating training in support of Business Objectives. Supporting an assigned element of our Global Operations organization, this leader will have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in developing, deploying, and supporting a world-class Operational Excellence system with a globally recognized leader in the engineered surfaces space.
Top-notch interpersonal skills are a must! This demanding position will require a candidate with the ability to constructively engage Associates with new and challenging concepts. Being able to facilitate change and challenge conventional thinking, while respecting norms and historic ways of doing things, is critical. Facilitating training events and providing training in Operational Excellence tools will challenge the candidate to share their knowledge effectively and concisely.
Internal drive to excel, the ability to probe and persist in fact-finding and problem identification, coupled with the ability to reduce complex problems to their simplest elements, is critical. The incumbent must be an expert in presenting data-driven problem analysis and solutions and be able to mentor others in the techniques and tools supporting this approach.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Actively lead and/or support process improvement projects and initiatives, focused on reducing cost, expanding operational capability, and/or driving speed-to-market with exciting new product launches
- Drive targeted, sustainable improvement in Quality, Delivery, Cost, and Innovation that is tied to Policy Deployment (PD) and Daily Management (DM)
- Monthly tracking and countermeasure development for operational challenges and KPI’s
- Ensure successful kaizen events by installing and ensuring compliance to the kaizen process (includes; (1) planning of kaizens in the assigned branch of operations (2) kaizen execution, and (3) sustainment of kaizens)
- Promote and facilitate diagnosis of workflow impediments and other wastes throughout the business, while recommending the appropriate Operational Excellence tools to eliminate waste
- Improve Operational Excellence training and facilitation; help to develop content, execute training, and mentor associates
- Work with Manufacturing & Supply Chain resources to schedule & execute events aligned with the Global Operational Excellence Roadmap
- Benchmark and incorporate best practices from other Wilsonart locations
- Perform business analysis and data modeling as needed
- Support and execute rigorous Root Cause Analysis to resolve Safety, Quality, Service, and Manufacturing challenges
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Deep understanding of Continuous Improvement Tools, Philosophies and Methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints, TPS, etc), gained through academic study, hands-on experience working within an established Operational Excellence system, and formal certification
- Strong expertise in A3 / PSP use, Kaizen facilitation, Value Stream Mapping, Capacity Analysis, Daily Management, and Policy Deployment
- Advanced knowledge of the End-to-End Supply Chain, including Manufacturing acumen and experience within multiple manufacturing segments
- The ability to lead a group of peers in targeted problem solving and project execution, including leading through influence within a matrixed environment
- Effective public speaking and workshop facilitation skills
- Strong Data Analysis skills using conventional software (Excel), and supplementary experience using alternative data modeling and visualization software (example – Tableau)
- Hands-on ERP experience, and a strong working knowledge of ERP configuration and constraints
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering, Operations Management, Supply Chain, or similar.
- Formal certification/training with Continuous Improvement tools – Six Sigma, Lean, TPS, TOC, etc
- Formal Certification in Supply Chain via APICS (CSCP or CPIM) highly desired
- 5-7 years in a manufacturing environment, ideally in an Operations Leadership, Quality or Engineering role, including 3+ years of focused experience driving Continuous Improvement
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Sitting in the same location as standing/walking; required to stoop, climb or lift light material (10-20lbs) or equipment.
ENVIRONMENT: Located in an indoor area with frequent exposure to mild physical discomfort from dust, fumes, temperature extremes, loud noises, and bright lights.
Wilsonart is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.