Founded by philanthropists Gary and Mary West, West Health, and its affiliated organizations, focus on the mission of lowering the cost of healthcare to enable seniors to successfully age in place with access to high-quality, affordable health and support services that preserve and protect their dignity, quality of life and independence.
Headquartered in La Jolla, California with an office in Washington, D.C., West Health includes the Gary and Mary West Health Institute, a nonprofit medical research organization and the nonprofit, nonpartisan Gary and Mary West Health Policy Center.
The Staff Accountant will be significantly involved in preparation of individual projects such as tax filings, audit schedules, etc. The Staff Accountant will also be responsible for general ledger records for assigned entities and review accounts receivable records. He / She will report to the Assistant controller and support the finance team’s overall goals in support of West Health’s mission.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Review accounts receivable records and intercompany transactions
- Prepare payroll related journal entries
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Prepare financial close related journal entries such as depreciation/amortization, prepaid runoffs, accrued expenses, etc.
- Prepare monthly general ledger account reconciliations
- Prepare quarterly grant expenditure reports
- Assist with budget process
- Prepare annual 1099 and property tax filings
- Assist with tax returns and audit schedules
- Other duties may be assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in accounting and/or related experience
- 5-6+ years of related, professional expertise in the accounting field, focus on general ledger accounting; experience with multi-entity organizations is a plus
- Ability to manage time, handle pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines, independently and proactively in addition to conduct basic professional judgement
- Excellent Excel skills (including but not limited to applying commonly-used formulas, create and update pivot table and be able to use v-lookup function)
- Working knowledge of Great Plains and QuickBooks, preferred
- Hands-on and detail-oriented
- Engaged, dedicated and passionate team player
- Self-directed professional who carries a positive attitude
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
West Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, disability or veteran's status.