Full Stack Developer
Job ID 2018-1045
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Full Stack Developer will work in all aspects of the development, testing, and deployment of the Vitals.com web site. With dexterity in performance engineering, software design, and front-end development, and will be expected to take on a range of development tasks in an agile, results oriented environment. They will be working with a distributed team across several time zones and so must be able to coordinate and collaborate in a development environment that will demand a high level of fidelity in communication and be comfortable making decisions without immediate guidance or approval. They must be willing to jump into areas where they may be less comfortable and triage and solve problems in a high SLA environment.
Candidates for this role should be able to demonstrate experience in the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent years of experience
- Developing large-scale, high traffic volume websites using PHP that have low latency
- Developing scalable, extensible systems to support operations that enable the site to operate including batch and ETL utilities and interacting with messaging/job management systems like RabbitMQ, Resque, etc.
- Publishing, retrieving, and searching for documents in high availability document database systems such as ElasticSearch, Solr, MongoDB, etc.
- Writing utility scripts and tools to support process automation using POSIX, BASH, TSH, etc.
- Working with standard utilities from the command line to automate or test web applications and work with APIs including cURL, jq, etc.
- Extending and creating build scripts using Grunt, Gulp, etc.
Qualified candidates should also have experience or knowledge of:
- Other relevant programming languages including Python, TypeScript, Ruby, NodeJS, etc.
- Container-based application development in Docker
- Container orchestration with Docker Compose or preferably Kubernetes
- Progressive web application frameworks like React, Angular, or Vue
- Test-driven development
- Kanban and scrum
- Common RDBMS including MySQL and Postgres