Associate Director, Core Infrastructure
Job ID 2022-4122
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Associate Director, Infrastructure Operations position reports into the Group VP, Business Intelligence & Data Services and is part of the WebMD Marketing Sciences team. This position has supervisory responsibility of critical data operations across multiple affiliates. The successful candidate is responsible for establishing a robust data warehouse architecture and establishing/enhancing an operational framework that will support ad-hoc and standard reporting in a performant and scalable environment
This position is accountable for the operations of the group, and as such, hires, manages develops empowers employees. This position includes managing a team of near and far shore professionals to work with stakeholders to understand their requirements, build out capabilities and establishing best practices for the group and our clients.
This is a senior leadership position that requires exceptional communication and collaboration skills together with deep data knowledge and experience in designing robust technical solutions. The position works with internal and external clients to understand their needs and instantiate capabilities and processes to on time delivery with a high level of accuracy. The successful candidate is expected to become expert in the data and initiatives associated with the business and feel comfortable sitting with business executives to support the decision-making process. As the Associate Director, Infrastructure Operations, the successful candidate will be working with a broad range of internal stakeholders to create a strategic vision of reporting excellence within the organization. This includes leading and participating in requirements gathering sessions, design workshops, systems evaluations, project management sessions and general oversight meetings.
- Develop a data warehouse framework for delivering reporting of the highest quality on time.
- Recruit, train, mentor and manage a team of business intelligence technical professionals.
- Mentor team in technologies including Pentaho Data Integrator, Vertica, Perl and Python.
- Develop a strategy for improving operational efficiencies at a code and database level ensuring robust and scalable processes.
- Work with business users on translating their use cases into business and technical requirements according to standards, including leading business strategy planning efforts and developing high-level strategies across departments.
- Ensure that the business is responding to critical reporting metrics and trends and provide analyses required to support internal and external clients.
- Advise management on complex projects across departments, working with colleagues across various functions to develop and continuously improve infrastructure and capabilities.
- Maintain and develop a wide network of effective relationships with departmental leads to align departmental priorities across stakeholders.
- Maintain documentation for design and development work
- Perform software and reporting designs reviews
- Deliver tools to support Data Warehousing, reporting and analysis
- Provide recommendations on software, hardware, and service
Skills & Experience
- Advanced degree in information systems, computer science, information technology or a related discipline or commensurate work experience
- 5+ years minimum of information systems experience and software development with a strong working knowledge of at least one of Oracle RDBMS, SQL Server, Vertica. Other data storage technologies are a plus
- Strong SQL with a working knowledge of scripting languages such as python, Perl, shell
- Knowledge of ETL tools like Pentaho, Informatica would be a plus
- Comfortable working with JIRA, Confluence, Tableau and an Agile development environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, along with ability to extract business requirements from client use cases and translating these requirements into technical specifications.