Analytics and Reporting Lead
Job ID 2019-1430
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Senior Data Analyst, Medscape Education
The Analytics and Reporting Lead position reports to the Senior Director of Data Analytics and is part of the Data Analytics team in Medscape Education.
This role will be responsible for managing a team of reporting analysts, overseeing the metrics and outcomes report delivery, providing direction to the processes of reconciliation and reporting, designing and developing meaningful reports and dashboards to deliver insightful results from supported educational programs within Medscape Education.
This position will be in charge of the report delivery of all educational programs, developing and maintaining reporting platform in Tableau, which will include new development, enhancements, managing user access, facilitating problem resolution, setting up reporting configuration and be the communicator around releases and system availability. It is required to understand the Medscape Education business, key metrics and data models being used, and be responsible for understanding business reporting requests and vetting those requirements. This role will also be responsible for identifying tracking needs and will need to partner with Product Management, Audience Engagement, and Data Services teams to design and develop reporting tracking based on business requirements. In addition, he/she will work in a team-oriented and dynamic environment and will require working closely with other teams in order to provide the organization with Outcomes metrics reports.
Ideal candidate should have strong Tableau development and SQL skills, as well as data management, analytical, organization, communication, and problem solving skills in order to appropriately develop reports and tools using large data sets and interfaces. He/she will need to leverage knowledge of data visualization to deliver creative and insightful reports to business users, while exhibiting solid problem-solving capabilities when faced with technical challenges. Candidate must be an effective communicator, strong team-player, and strong Tableau developer.
Enable the business to concentrate on driving results by providing centralized self-service reporting and metrics tools that support a unified and standardized version of conveying company data
Report development and analysis:
- Utilize the full range of Tableau functionalities to design, develop and enhance dashboards and reports including:
- Creation/enhancement of reports and dashboards
- Data visualization and design
- Use of calculated variables
- Use of custom formatting
- Automation of refreshes and delivery
- Develop SQL queries to pull a required data set and develop data visualization in Tableau dashboards
- Create insightful, easy to understand reports with visualization that meets business needs
- Deliver timely and accurate reports
- Investigate report errors and data anomalies using SQL, Tableau or other tools
- Analyze trends and user behavior for the Education domain, including Product-specific analyses, respondent behavior, as well as specified campaigns of interest or pilot programs
- Create, maintain, and enhance reporting template(s) and customize as needed using Tableau and other scripting tools to ensure messaging and branding is consistent across the overall business unit and its products
- Manage relationships with stakeholders to understand current and future business requirements, translating them into actionable scope and technical requirements; provide recommendations on data and improving reporting
- Manage expectations and proactively communicate updates around project timelines and scope
- Partner with Data Services to implement data tracking needs and data structure on new products to ensure what is being implemented meets reporting requirements according to Product specifications
- Create and maintain release process, documentation and user guides
- Provide recommendations for report automation and business process improvements
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience; BA/BS in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Information Systems is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Business Intelligence, data and/or statistical analysis is required
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in Tableau Desktop and Server
- A minimum of 3 years of SQL coding experience and working with large data sets such as Vertica (preferred), Oracle
- Strong SQL skills is required as candidate must be able to write SQL queries from scratch
- Hands-on experience with creating data visualizations is required
- Strong Excel skills is required. Must be proficient with advanced analytic functions such as vlookup, named ranges, pivot tables, formulas, etc
- Experience in Python and other scripting languages
- Experience with statistical analysis and packages, such as R, is preferred
- Knowledge of data-warehouse and web architecture is preferred
- Solid project management experience in an agile BI environment is required
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to align priorities and identify dependencies across the roadmap. Able to engage with the business at all levels to determine impactful business needs
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual and problem solving abilities with a focus on high impact business opportunities is required
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to develop a strong rapport with business users to communicate risks and dependencies
- Strong organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
- Self-starter who is capable in taking initiative and working with minimal direction
- Ability to multi-task and understand priorities of requests and projects in a dynamic environment.
- Knowledge of web analytics and experience with web analytics tools, such as Omniture and Google Analytics, is highly preferred
- Experience in supporting Outcomes Research, Product Development, Marketing and Sales teams, and communicating data-driven analyses to various departments is preferred
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau (preferred), OBIEE, SAS, Microstrategy, Cognos, SAP, etc.