Job ID 2022-4182
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
As a Development Manager, you will play an important leadership role in the success of our Development Teams. Reporting to the Vice President of Software Engineering, you'll be one of the primary software leaders for an organization that's publishing educational, promotional and clinical content to help health care providers to excel in their day today job to treat patients. As part of a friendly, collaborative, and talented leadership team, you'll be helping lead important efforts across our core systems and industry leading products.
You will collaborate across Technology and Product leadership teams. You will establish strong relationships with other Managers who support Medscape development initiatives, such as WebOps and SysOps. You will mentor and train team members in areas of software development. You will balance and teach others on the needs of code maintainability, performance, and interoperability. Your teams will contribute to our codebase with enthusiasm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Collaborate with the Technology and Product leaders in aligning technology plans with business strategy and priorities.
- Collaborate with Application Architects, Engineering Leads, Engineers, and QA Automation Engineers in finding optimal solutions for products and help align system/architecture roadmaps to product roadmaps.
- Provide Development Teams a clear picture for implementing solutions.
- Be responsible for all aspects of your teams’ SDLC.
- Lead Agile development processes for your teams in developing, testing, implementing, and maintaining solutions.
- Oversee coding processes and standards to produce quality, clean, efficient code with an eye toward maintainability, interoperability, and performance.
- Manage developers and passionately coach and mentor team members.
- Ensure standards of quality are met, provide critical feedback, build positive team dynamics, and execute against best practices.
- Although not a direct coding position, you will work on POC’s and help troubleshoot issues.
Qualities and Experience you will have:
- Possess excellent management and people skills.
- Managing people for a minimum of 2 years.
- Maintain high standards, while being realistic about what is possible.
- Experience in product development in an enterprise setting, leveraging modern technology stacks.
- Experience in integration approaches, such as microservices, messaging, queuing, API patterns, etc.
- Experience in running / managing an enterprise development work stream involving several systems and teams.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Experience in interacting at multiple levels of an organization.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills, with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Must have experience with Java/J2EE Framework, RESTFul API's, SQL, front-end framework such as VueJS, JQuery, Tomcat application server and Apache web server
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B. S.) in Computer related subject area or related business field and seven (7) or more years’ experience in Information Technology and solution delivery, or equivalent combination of education and experience in similar fields is required. Experience working in the content publishing organization is preferred.