Sr Database Developer
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status
WebMD is looking for a Sr. Database Developer with a diverse background in data integration to join the Data Management team. You don’t need to be a doctor to work at WebMD, but we’re looking for doctor who can solve any data problems. Some data is small, some data is very large (100 billion+), some data is structured, some data is not. Our data comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes. Oracle, MSSQL, Postgres, Vertica, MongoDB, Couchbase, HDFS/HIVE to name a few.
You will be responsible for collaborating with various business team (Revenue, Marketing, Product, Sales) and Data Science/BI team to design and develop custom data solutions. We are not looking for individuals that require direct instructions or supervision. We are looking for individual who can solve any problems and make a direct impact to the business and revenue.
Besides a competitive compensation package, you’ll be working with a great group of technologists interested in finding the right database to use, right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. If you’re ready to step up and take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, this is a unique opportunity for you.
- Design, develop and support multiple data projects in traditional relational databases such as Oracle, MSSQL and Postgres as well as non-traditional database such as Vertica and MongoDB
- Analyze business requirements, design and implement required data model and ETL processes on your own
- Participate in data architecture and engineering decision making/planning
- Create an enterprise level data inventory regardless of source, format, structure
- Connect and integrate individual datasets for better analysis and transparency between the data
- Translate complex technical subjects into terms that can be understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- 6+ years of experience with traditional database development on Oracle/MSSQL/Postgres
- 2+ years of experience with databases other than Oracle/MSSQL/Postgres, such as Vertica, MongoDB or HDFS/HIVE
- Experience with the ETL tools such as Microsoft SSIS, Talend or Pentaho
- Experience working closely with teams outside of IT (ie. Business Intelligence, Finance, Marketing, Sales)
- Strong communication and documentation skill is absolutely required for this role as you will be working directly with both IT and non-technical groups
- Self-motivated, willingness to learn new technologies and business and willing to take initiative beyond basic responsibilities
- Requires minimal or no direct supervision
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl or Python
- Experience with the reporting platforms such as Tableau or Cognos
- Experience with statistical computing environment such as R or SAP
- Experience with setting up the infrastructure and architectural requirements
- Database administration experience a plus, but not required
- Web analytics or Business Intelligence a plus, but not required