Sr. Director, Editorial
Job ID 2021-3274
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The sr director, editorial, serves a critical role within the organization and provides leadership across features, news and programming. This person ensures that the content published is true to our brands’ missions and values and builds on our leadership position in
health and medical information worldwide. This position ensures coverage is prioritized across specialties, while being timely, readable and engaging for its target audience. This person must have proven medical journalism or publishing expertise combined with a deep
knowledge of the medical field. He or she must possess exceptional operational and organizational skills, most notably the ability to balance competing priorities while meeting business goals. As the focal point for the editorial team, the executive director must be able
to uphold editorial policies and represent the needs of the editorial team, while working collaboratively with internal stakeholders and external parties.
● Dermatology, gastroenterology, rheumatology, critical care, pulmonology, emergency medicine, infectious disease, allergies, HIV and other medical specialties
● Digital storytelling
● Upholding editorial policies
● Tracking content performance and engagement and using that information to inform content creation
● Partnering with member marketing on a robust and targeted outreach strategy
● Collaborating with product and technology on the most effective means for disseminating content and exploring innovative approaches
● Forming and leveraging relationships with internal stakeholders
● Forming key editorial partnerships with vendors and other journalists
● Ensuring deep staff expertise in targeted specialties
● Bachelors degree or equivalent years of experience
● 10+ years’ experience in editorial management with an emphasis on content creation teams and process, creative problem-solving and insight development.
● 5+ years in creating and executing digital content strategy
● Deep understanding of how audience drivers and marketing channels work hand in hand with content.
● Significant experience in content targeting consumers
● Deep experience in workload and priority juggling
● Experience with tableau and various analytics packages
● Significant network of freelancers
● Facility with a variety of content types