Scientific Writer/Grant Development-Oncology
Job ID 2021-2677
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Global Grant Developer, Oncology
Are you passionate about medical writing and keeping on top of the latest developments in the field of oncology? Can you dissect complex published evidence (review articles, clinical trial results, poster presentations, meta-analyses, guidelines, etc.) and present it succinctly for diverse audiences? Medscape Education Global is seeking an experienced grant developer to play a primary role in the development of oncology proposals to seek funding in the field of oncology to educate the Global community of oncologists/haematologists, pathologists, and other healthcare providers caring for patients with different cancers.
The writer is responsible for all steps and interactions required to write and prepare oncology grant proposals for submission in a defined time scale, to the highest quality, and with minimal supervision. These proposals are the primary tool to seek funding to develop accredited and non-accredited independent medical education (CME/CPD/IME) programmes. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure proposals are clinically appropriate and instructionally sound and adhere to ACCME/EACCME standards
- Lead proposal initiation calls with internal stakeholders to obtain details and direction for proposal development, confirming timelines, clinical focus, educational tactics, and outcomes assessment plans
- Write clear and succinct educational needs assessments that provide evidence for identified clinical practice gaps, that follow recognised standards, and are supported by internal and external data
- Use internal templates and tools to write proposals that tell a compelling story on the rationale, instructional intent, and value of the proposed educational solution
- Incorporate revisions based on input from cross-functional internal and external proposal reviewers, including Sales & Strategy Teams, Medical Education Directors, and Pricing, to ensure high-quality grant submissions, and improve likelihood of external grant awards.
- Advanced scientific degree preferred in a medical or science-related specialty, together with some experience writing medical content; a Bachelor's degree in life sciences, public health, or clinical sciences may also be considered, with several years’ experience writing and editing complex medical content; a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, technical writing, or English may also be considered, with several years’ experience in medical writing at a highly technical level
- At least 5 years’ experience writing grant proposals or medical content writing, with a superior ability to incorporate data, visuals, and narrative into a compelling written story; at least 2 years’ experience in the medical education field may be considered, including work at a medical education/communications company, professional medical publisher, academic institution/hospital/university center, or medical society
- Background in the fields of scientific, publication, and needs assessment writing is useful, especially ability to be conversant with how to interpret key/emerging issues related to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of various diseases
- Excellent editorial (editing and writing) skills, preferably in the area of grant/proposal and needs assessment development
- A flexible mindset and excellent time management and organisational skills to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously in a highly deadline-driven environment, while taking into consideration stakeholders based across multiple time zones
- Ability to deliver results with minimum supervision by suggesting plausible solutions and creatively using existing resources in a productive and/or innovative way to quickly deal with unforeseen issues and to ensure that timelines are consistently met
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills (encompasses verbal, written, listening)
- Excellent computer skills, which include working remotely on shared networks and cloud-based systems, and a high degree of proficiency using Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Positive attitude and willingness to accept varied assignments in a time-sensitive environment
- Availability for a limited amount of travel (~10%)
- Ability to maintain friendly and productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders through clear articulation and an effective communication style
- Process oriented, able to find new ways to improve existing processes and to learn and adapt to evolving processes
- At least 4 years’ experience working with cross-functional teams and external partners toward common objectives
- Superior ability to describe medical/public health issues, clinical scenarios, and complex scientific data to a non-technical audience
- Superior ability to incorporate data, visuals, and narrative into a compelling written story
- Experience using Salesforce, Box, Workfront, and Tableau
- Basic skill level in Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat