Senior Medical Reporter
Job ID 2022-4291
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape is seeking an experienced medical journalist to write medical news for a neurologist audience. Reporting to the Medscape Neurology/Psychiatry Executive Editor you will review neurology journals and help identify potential studies for news coverage, write news and feature articles, network to build a solid roster of expert contacts/sources in neurology and its various sub-specialties
This position requires a basic understanding of scientific papers, excellent news judgment, solid medical news writing and interviewing skills, attention to detail, ability to meet tight deadlines, and the ability to work effectively with other team members in a virtual environment.
- Review and digest scientific papers from major medical journals in neurology to identify studies for coverage of interest to a clinical audience.
- Ability to cover policy issues in neurology
- Write 3-4 news articles per week based on published studies and new research presented at meetings.
- Cultivate relationships with key thought leaders in neurology and relevant public relations contacts.
- An ability to write compelling long-form features when required
- Travel to medical meetings is required.
- 5+ years of medical news writing experience, producing accurate, balanced, compelling copy in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in an online environment