Job ID 2021-3417
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape is seeking a medical editor to work on diabetes & endocrinology and nephrology, reporting to the Executive Editor of those specialties.
The senior editor will work on driving specialist physician engagement through the creation and posting of compelling perspectives, including contributions from regular columnists in areas such as obesity medicine, pediatric endocrinology, and diabetes; and recruitment of authors for text-based perspectives on topics of interest, and/or expert video commentaries.
The editor will be responsible for supporting traffic targets by specialty, and tracking progress against goals.
The position requires some medical knowledge, solid medical writing, editing, and interviewing skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet tight deadlines while working with others in a virtual environment.
- Communication with physician site advisors and site advisory board
- Solicitation of authors (generally physicians) to write commentaries, or record videos, on topics of interest to endocrinologists or nephrologists
- Management of contractual arrangements, payment, and follow-up
- Line editing of all content; coordination with copyediting and production
- Site updating in coordination with the news editor and executive editor (homepage, core resource centers, other features as needed)
- Develop ideas for and preparation of weekly and ad hoc email newsletters as needed
- Selection of partner journal articles and oversight of indexers
- Coordinate with social media editors for content promotion
- Review site traffic trends and content plan revisions based on traffic needs
- Communication with marketing to develop surveys, special reports, and other traffic-driving special initiatives
- Communication and collaboration with professional societies regarding partnerships
- Management of partner content and partner pages
- Attendance at key professional specialty meetings as needed
- Content planning together with executive editor
- Pitching and developing news features is also encouraged
- Fill in for the news editor as needed (assign and edit news stories to staff or freelance journalists for publication on various platforms)
- Review journals, worldwide press and social media for potential topics of interest to our readers, either for news or to develop as features or perspectives
- Write news stories on occasion
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or life sciences, advanced degree or equivalent years of experience
- 5+ years in medical editing (in DTC or HCP)
- Familiarity and comfort with producing content for online publication
- Experience with news writing and commentary editing for both clinicians and consumers
- Familiarity with Workfront, Trello, and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a virtual environment
- Please include a cover letter along with application