Senior Editor, Long Form Features
Job ID 2019-1573
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Senior Editor, Long Form Features will coordinate the development of long-form features to support site-wide traffic goals and audience development needs, and will work with the Senior Director of Features to develop new initiatives that address these critical objectives.
- Collaborate with other Features editors to identify stories to cover, using data analysis to identify topics that resonate with particular audiences of interest, such as power users, and to develop articles that address specialty and condition needs as they emerge
- Work with editors and the marketing team to develop a robust feature editorial calendar that anticipates traffic and audience needs
- Analyze content topics and formats in major competitors to help keep the Features team at the forefront of professional medical content
- Identify rising stars in medicine to profile, and hot topics to highlight, monitoring social media, blogs and other outlets
- Work with social media and marketing teams to promote relevant content
- Manage contributor content that has broad audience appeal but drives engagement
- Identify new freelance writers and maintain a database of freelance contributors working with the Features team
- Edit long-form features and work with freelance editors to ensure a steady flow of feature content
- Work closely with the marketing team to plan a calendar of special mailers promoting the best features and news content
* Bachelors degree; preference for journalism or English
* Editorial content creation experience -- minimum of 6+ years
* Demonstrated strong ability to organize work, manage a budget, and deliver an editorial plan to grow the audience
* Excellent time-management skills, organization and project management skills
* Strong team player who takes on challenging projects with a positive attitude and desire to produce high quality content
* Strong writing and editing skills; familiarity with AP style
* Knowledge of web development tools a plus* Familiarity with a medical professional audience a plus