Associate Health Editor
Job ID 2023-5764
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape is seeking an Associate Editor, reporting to the Medscape Oncology Director of Editorial. The Associate Editor will work with the Director of Editorial as well as the Senior News Editor to brainstorm unique news, features, and commentary ideas, edit news articles and opinion commentaries, review journals for potential studies for news coverage, assign some news coverage to staff and freelance writers, write oncology breaking news articles as needed, produce newsletters, and other editorial tasks. This position requires basic medical knowledge; solid medical news editing, writing, and interviewing skills; attention to detail; ability to meet tight deadlines; and the ability to collaborate with a large, fast-moving news team in a virtual environment.
- Edit news articles and opinion commentaries for accuracy, balance, timeliness, and relevance.
- Edit video transcripts and collaborate with production team to publish video content
- Review major medical journals in the field for clinically relevant and important studies in Oncology.
- In conjunction with Director of Editorial and Senior News Editor, assign studies for coverage to staff and freelance journalists.
- Write breaking news articles, general news, news features, polls, or other editorial content as needed.
- Network and build physician contacts to acquire sources and physician contributing writers.
- Travel to medical meetings for coverage as needed.
- Support the Director of Editorial on special projects.
- Other editorial and administrative support as needed, such as budget management, social media, and editorial policy development.
- Bachelor's degree in English, biology, or other relevant area
- 5+ years in medical editing and/or medical news reporting; experience with news for clinicians a plus
- Comfort with writing for online publication
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality news that maintains the interest of physicians and reflects a high standard of literacy and accuracy;
- High productivity evidenced in the ability to meet deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes;
- Ability to edit stories for accuracy, balance, timeliness, and relevance to the specialty;
- High reliability and independence so that the Associate Editor can fill in for other editors during vacations, illness, or on special projects;
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of a growing multimedia news team in a competitive environment.
- Knowledge of oncology
- Familiarity with Google Suite and publishing systems
This role will be based in Newark, NJ, Atlanta, GA or Los Angeles, CA