Associate Editor, Review of Optometry & Ophthalmology
Job ID 2021-2684
Jobson Healthcare Information (JHI) is a premier healthcare information and marketing services provider, with leading positions in a variety of growing healthcare markets such as pharmacy, eye care, clinician (physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants) and the managed markets (managed care, hospitals and government). Through its diversified, multi-media portfolio of marketing services, information databases, publications, medical education programs, events, websites and other digital and traditional media services, JHI is uniquely positioned to inform and educate a highly targeted network of approximately one million healthcare professionals across multiple specialties.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Review Group publishes four titles for eye doctors practicing in the US: Review of Optometry, Review of Ophthalmology, Review of Cornea & Contact Lenses and Retina Specialist. Each educates a niche audience of highly skilled professionals about the clinical procedures of eye care and the strategic decisions that will help them succeed in a competitive and ever-evolving profession. Editorial content is a mix of brief news reports and long-form “how-to” articles on the techniques of medical practice, delivered in high-quality print magazines as well as websites that include the full print content plus breaking news updates as events happen.
The Associate Editor is responsible for strengthening audience awareness of and conversation about the editorial content of all Review Group publications through numerous digital outlets,
including websites, newsletters, social media and more. The position looks for content exposure opportunities by identifying reader needs and matching them with both existing and original content.
- Write original news stories on medical and surgical eye care to be delivered across several distinct editorial properties with appropriate tailoring to each audience.
- Absorb all relevant scientific, industry and practice-level news available from journals, press releases, online discussion forums and other media outlets; use these sources as the basis for identifying news coverage and long-form feature article ideas.
- Manage the social media feeds of all titles, posting content on a daily basis and seeking to create conversations within the community.
- Identify trending conversations and create or repurpose content that addresses reader needs in the moment.
- Work with editorial staff to identify inroads to readership within each article; for instance, by repurposing material such as images, videos, tables and key educational takeaways that can draw in the audience when shared through social media.
- Upload content to publication websites using in-house CMS. Consistently look for ways to showcase content for maximum exposure.
- Research archival content and suggest related stories that can complement new material as it’s published, to extend the reach of our existing library of editorial material.
- Attend medical conferences and provide live coverage of presentations to share new scientific data and clinical insights as they happen.
- Generate layouts for print publications in collaboration with Art Director.
- Proofread print layouts and online content for accuracy, clarity, value to readers and elimination of bias.
- Develop professional relationships with experts in the field.
- Contribute to the editorial planning process by generating story ideas that serve the audience and reinforce the publication’s identity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One to five (1-5) years’ experience as a medical editor/writer preferred. New grads will also be considered.
- News researching/reporting skills a must, preferably in a scientific or medical discipline.
- Keen understanding of how to use media outlet channels to maximum effect; in particular, outlets for digital distribution of content.
- Ability to formulate data-driven suggestions for content engagement using tools like Google Analytics, Parse.ly and others.
- Basic competence in Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop).
- Experience/expertise in digital publishing software and services (content management systems, web page design, HTML mark-up, social media).
- Experience in medical education, medical publishing, pharmaceutical or healthcare industry strongly preferred. Experience in optometry or ophthalmology a big plus.
- Ability to multitask in fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Travel to industry conferences as required