Art Director (Magazine)
Job ID 2022-4464
Jobson Healthcare Information (JHI) is a premier healthcare information and marketing services provider, with leading positions in a variety of growing healthcare markets such as pharmacy, eye care, clinician (physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants) and the managed markets (managed care, hospitals and government). Through its diversified, multi-media portfolio of marketing services, information databases, publications, medical education programs, events, websites and other digital and traditional media services, JHI is uniquely positioned to inform and educate a highly targeted network of approximately one million healthcare professionals across multiple specialties.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Art Director is responsible for creating, designing and layout of graphic materials for 20/20 (14 issues a year), the leading publication in the optical arena. 20/20 sets the industry standard with its reporting of new eyewear products & technology, as well as romancing eyewear through its eyewear/sunwear features and original photo shoots. The art director role manages the creative art and visuals for stories and the design of key advertiser supplements. This position oversees the work of a digital art director, graphic designers, illustrators and photographers in developing creative ideas. The candidate must be able to work at a high level while managing multiple projects in a highly collaborative environment. Establishing contacts with photographers is critical; photo- and video-shoot experience, including pre-/post-production and on-site creative direction, is required.
- Work with editorial to formulate visuals for stories
- Solely responsible for designing whole magazine from cover to cover
- Organize and art directing monthly still life and fashion shoots
- Color correct and retouch artwork for print
- Share responsibility with editor-in-chief and executive editor for final page approvals
- Create and monitor budgets, process art-related invoices and archive each issue
- Full participation in all edit/art meetings
- Contact and manage photographers; secure studios and work with agencies to secure models, hair, makeup stylists
- Requires experience designing charts, graphs and infographics
- Bachelors’ degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of magazine design experience.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure and be able to communicate with editors, photographers, and production staff.
- Must have the ability to work independently and efficiently while meeting strict deadlines.
- Flexibility and a great attitude are a must.
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe Digital Publishing Suite and Dreamweaver). Flash knowledge a plus.
- Experienced with coordinating project work and interfacing with other groups, such as sales, marketing managers, clients and production staff from conception to project completion
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to present ideas confidently and comfortably
- Solid understanding of web design required
- Excellent creative, conceptual, and critical thinking abilities
- Understanding of HTML and capabilities of web browsers
- Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
- Proficient use of MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Power Point)