Job ID 2020-2500
The MDedge™ Network offers physicians and health care professionals medical news, clinical reviews, expert commentary, conference coverage, and learning programs from trusted and credible sources. MDedge comprises 35+ specialty-specific websites and publications as well as medical education, a career center, and other professional tools, designed to keep clinicians informed and save them time.
MDedge Editorial is seeking an associate editor for its network of websites and newspapers, which offer the latest specialty news and expert perspectives from onsite conference coverage, summaries from the journals, and regulatory and approval news from the U.S. and around the world. The person in this position must demonstrate a high level of copy editing skills, mastery of the print production process, and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general. The candidate must have experience in publishing and superb written and communication skills. The ability to work well under pressure in a deadline driven environment is essential.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- To substantively copy edit and proofread MDedge news articles, features, and opinion pieces, as well as graphics.
- To evaluate overall coherency of the articles and edits to promote clarity and accuracy, in addition to implementing excellent grammar, usage, and application of MDedge News’ style guidelines.
- To apply a comprehensive understanding of the complexities of MDedge News’ online and print production process when doing cold reads and corrections (both online and in print).
- To convert images for use on websites.
- To post articles on MDedge websites when necessary, which may include weekend work.
- To verify facts as needed, including drug names and treatment modalities.
- To communicate well with colleagues – editors, reporters, freelancers, and occasionally doctors and columnists – throughout the company.
- To assist in maintaining an editorial tone overall that is free of favor and bias, as well as appropriate for a professional news organization.
- To remain flexible under deadline pressures.
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet daily digital and print deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes.
- Copy editing of individual stories to verify accuracy.
- Interpersonal skills to meet demands imposed by being part of a shared staff.
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of specialist readers in a competitive multimedia environment.
Journalism skills and knowledge to include:
- At least 2 years’ copy editing experience with exposure to medical or scientific/technical copy.
- Familiarity with InCopy, Drupal, Adobe, desktop publishing, and experience with online publishing and production a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism related or equivalent combination of education and job experience.
- Ability to perform both online and print editorial processes and solve editorial problems rapidly.
- Computer skills to include working in online environments and content management systems.
- Interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.
This is not a remote position. Office presence is required, Covid restrictions permitting.