Editor, Primary Care
Job ID 2021-3382
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape/WebMD is seeking an editor to join our primary care news and features team, which covers general health, ob/gyn, and pediatrics, for both consumer and professional audiences.
The person in this position must demonstrate a high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine and health reporting. Tasks include identifying information and events that warrant coverage; assigning and editing articles; working with freelance and staff writers; collaborating with other editors on the primary care team and on the larger editorial team as needed.
The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, as well as work both independently (under minimal supervision) and collaborate in a team environment. The candidate must have experience in publishing and superb written and communication skills. The ability to work well under pressure and prioritize in a deadline-driven environment is essential.
- Assigning and editing high-quality, engaging, and medically-accurate content, particularly in the areas of primary care, women's health, and pediatrics
- Managing the editorial workflow from start to finish
- Work with freelancers as needed
- Managing multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
- Analyze traffic metrics and audience engagement as part of strategic editorial planning
- Providing new approaches for sometimes dry or difficult content for professional and consumer audiences
- Collaborating on strategic content with other departments, e.g. SEO Team, Medical Reviewers, Photo Editors, Content Editors, and Strategists as needed
NOTE: Please provide a cover letter with your resume.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or related field or equivalent years of experience
- 5+ years editing, including experience with an online Health, Wellness, News and/or Lifestyle brand
- Strong editorial judgment
- Demonstrated experience editing in a fast paced environment
- Basic knowledge of SEO
- Good organizational ability, good verbal communication skills, attention to detail and the capacity to work effectively under pressure
- Experience creating interactive content and working in a CMS
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively as various projects require
- Experience editing for a wide range of audiences
- Experience creating content that is driven by SEO data/collaborating with SEO team
- Comfortable leading large projects