Sr. Director, Consumer Structured Content
Job ID 2022-3661
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Senior Director, Consumer Structured Content leads WebMD’s core editorial and content team responsible for developing reference and custom content for audience engagement and revenue delivery.
The Senior Director sets the editorial standards and guidelines for developing accurate, engaging, educational, and actionable medical, health, wellness, and lifestyle content. They develop strategies to increase organic traffic and enhance audience experience for reference articles, slideshows, interactives, blogs, podcasts, and other media assets. They collaborate with product marketing and product management to create innovative products and solutions. They execute content for multimillion-dollar revenue campaigns.
The applicant should be a creative, independent editorial leader with the ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven environment. They should have experience coaching and mentoring other editors. They should have strong communication skills and be comfortable collaborating cross functionally to develop innovative products and meet project deadlines.
- Manage and guide staff and freelance writers and editors to produce high-quality, engaging, and accurate core content that educates the target audience and empowers them to take action
- Oversee content projects to ensure work is high quality and deadlines are met
- Oversee creation of custom content for revenue delivery, ensuring it follows content integrity guidelines
- Collaborate on new products for revenue delivery
- Manage editorial content engagement strategists and collaborate with associated departments (e.g., SEO, content marketing, social media) to devise strategic content initiatives
- Manage multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
- Maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders on content projects through effective communication
- Manage relationships with and guide work of external content vendors
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Writing (Professional, Technical, Science/Medical) or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years managing a team, including direct FTE management
- 10+ years editing, including experience with an online Health, Wellness, News and/or Lifestyle brand
- Strong editorial judgment
- Demonstrated experience editing in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with SEO, content strategy, and data analytics
- Experience with budgeting and capacity planning
- Strong organizational ability, attention to detail and the capacity to work effectively under pressure
- Strong problem-solving skills to independently and quickly deal with unforeseen issues to ensure that timelines are consistently met
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience creating content and working in a CMS
- Comfortable leading large projects