Job ID 2021-3352
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Editorial Director is a key position in the organization that provides leadership across features, news and programming. This person ensures that the content published is true to our brands’ missions and values and builds on our leadership position in health and medical information worldwide. This position ensures timely, engaging and relevant
coverage for target audiences that is prioritized for professional specialty and general audiences.
This job requires a strong background in medical and health journalism or experience leading teams with other publishing platforms focusing on medical, health or science fields. Strong editing and writing skills are strongly preferred. He or she must also possess exceptional operational and organizational skills, most notably the ability to balance competing priorities while meeting business goals. Executive directors must be able to uphold the organization’s editorial policies and represent the needs of the editorial team, while working collaboratively with internal stakeholders and
- Leads editorial efforts for primary care, internal medicine, family medicine, men’s health, women’s health, and pediatrics
- Develops impactful consumer lifestyle content
- Manages content programming across site areas and aligning to core business goals.
- Tracks content performance and engagement and using that information to inform content creation
- Partners with member marketing on a robust and targeted outreach strategy
- Collaborates with product and technology on the most effective means for disseminating content and exploring innovative approaches
- Develops and leverages relationships with internal stakeholders
- Forms key editorial partnerships with vendors and other journalists
NOTE: Please provide a cover letter with your resume.
- A Bachelors degree or equivalent years of experience
- 8-10+ years’ experience in editorial management with an emphasis on content creation teams and process, creative problem-solving and insight development.
- 5+ years in creating and executing digital content strategy
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of writers, editors and other staff.
- Deep understanding of how audience drivers and marketing channels work hand in hand with content.
- Significant experience in content targeting consumers
- Deep experience in workload and priority juggling
- Proven ability to manage a news team budget and finances.
- Exceptional news judgment and experience assigning and editing news and features stories.
- Ensures staff is meeting high editorial standards, such as fairness, accuracy and readability, for all published content.
- Experience mentoring and developing writers and editors to high achievement levels.
- Ensuring deep staff expertise in targeted specialties
- Digital storytelling
- Upholding editorial policies
- Experience with tableau and various analytics packages
- Ability to develop a robust network of freelancers
- Facility with a variety of content types