Sr. Managing Editor
Job ID 2021-3577
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The senior managing editor will own the science coverage areas within news and features. The senior managing editor will write and edit and work with a pool of freelancers, producing content for Medscape (US and OUS), WebMD and other brands as appropriate. The senior managing editor will own news and features content and work with other teams where there is content overlap. They will produce stories, projects, digests, infographics, and produce material for interactive pieces and videos, as needed. The senior managing editor is responsible for supporting traffic targets and tracking progress against goals.
- Strategic content planning and budget management for sites
- Recruiting writers and authors, including arranging contracts and payments
- Clinical and consumer content editing, coordination with copyediting and production review
- Testing innovations on sites (new content, new formats)
- Reviewing site traffic trends and revising content plans based on traffic needs
- Managing partnerships as needed
- Attending and covering key specialty meetings as needed
- Preparation of weekly and special newsletters
- Coordinating with social media editor to ensure that relevant brands maintain an active and engaging experience
- Ensuring that information on sites is up to date and relevant
- Site updating (homepage, core resource centers, other features as needed)
Required Experience & Background
- Minimum of college degree or equivalent years of relevant(related) experience in journalism or a related field (emphasis on life sciences preferred)
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience writing and editing for medical publication targeting medical professionals, or consumer health/wellness site
- Strong editorial judgment
- Conversant with key/emerging issues in prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing in a fast paced environment
- Familiarity with Web publishing and basic website analytics.
- Basic knowledge of SEO
- Good organizational ability, good verbal communication skills, attention to detail and the capacity to work effectively under pressure
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Experience writing for a wide range of audiences
- Experience creating content that is driven by SEO data/collaborating with SEO
- Comfortable leading large projects