Sr Data Warehouse Administrator
Job ID 2019-1578
WebMD’s Health Services business enables employers and health plans to provide their employees and plan members with access to personalized health and benefit information, decision support technology that helps them make informed benefit, provider and treatment choices and provides telephonic health coaching services.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Senior Data Warehouse Operations DBA is responsible for providing operational database services to the organization. Some of the primary duties of this role include discovering, owning, tracking and resolving database related issues, resolving incidents within SLAs, and fulfilling requests. Other responsibilities include reviewing service related statuses (e.g. database backups, maintenance operations, performance metrics) on a daily basis to ensure undesirable conditions are identified and resolved within established timeframes. The DBA also participates in an on-call rotation, occasionally provides support off-hours, responds to database related alerts and escalations, and works with software engineers, analysts and other professionals to develop strategic solutions to recurring problems.
Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Data Warehouse Operations DBA role requires a service oriented mentality with an abundant sense of ownership for the problems encountered and requests assigned. Also expected is a focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers, initiating and performing changes on production systems, and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
- Maintains availability of database warehouse functions in Test and Production at all times.
- Performs analysis of, and authors SQL queries and schema changes (e.g. tables, indexes, etc.).
- Proficient in performance tuning, monitoring and SQL query tuning using EXPLAIN PLAN, COLLECT statistics.
- Experience with BTEQ, FASTLOAD, MULTILOAD, TPUMP to export and load data to/from different source systems including flat files.
- Performs patching & server maintenance, including creating and logging incidents in TaYS and calls to Teradata (GSC) for analysis.
- Troubleshoots and resolves data integrity issues, performance issues, connectivity issues, access and security issues, etc.
- Assists and mentors others as necessary.
- Assesses and generates information regarding capacity planning and long-term trends.
- Continuously implements and improves upon all forms of operational automation.
- Accomplishes department and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed.
- Regularly updates occupational knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reads professional publications, maintains personal networks, participates in professional events and organizations.
- 6+ years of database administration experience.
- 3+ years of UNIX or LINUX experience.
- 1+ year of experience with Teradata administration and/or development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skill in documenting processes and procedures; creating KBs, run-books, topology diagrams, etc.
- Coordination with other team members, Change Management and Incident Management.
- Experience with other RDBMs: exposure to or work experience with MySQL and/or PostgreSQL strongly desired.
- Familiarity or experience with one or more programming and scripting languages.
- Understanding of the SDLC, DevOps, Agile methodologies.
Participation in a 24x7 on-call rotation. Occasional night and weekend work is expected and minimal travel may be required.
Ability to work extended periods of time at a computer.
This position has no direct reports.
As a member of WebMD Health Services, you may have access to confidential information that will require you to follow additional protocols to ensure the security of our data. As a core requirement, you must implement and act in accordance with the organization’s information security policies; protect assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference; execute security processes or activities; and report security events or potential events or other security risks to the appropriate parties within the organization.