Job ID 2022-3820
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape is seeking an Associate Editor, reporting to the Medscape Oncology Senior Editorial Director. The Associate Editor will work with the Senior Editorial Director as well as the Executive News Editor to brainstorm unique news, features, and commentary ideas, edit news articles and opinion commentaries, review journals for potential studies for news coverage, assign some news coverage to staff and freelance writers, write oncology breaking news articles as needed, produce newsletters, and other editorial tasks. This position requires basic medical knowledge; solid medical news editing, writing, and interviewing skills; attention to detail; ability to meet tight deadlines; and the ability to collaborate with a large, fast-moving news team in a virtual environment.
- Bachelor's degree in English, biology, or other relevant area
- 3+ years in editing and/or medical news reporting; experience with news for clinicians a plus
- Comfort with writing for online publication
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality news that maintains the interest of physicians and reflects a high standard of literacy and accuracy;
- High productivity evidenced in the ability to meet deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes;
- Ability to edit stories for accuracy, balance, timeliness, and relevance to the specialty;
- High reliability and independence so that the Associate Editor can fill in for other editors during vacations, illness, or special projects;
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of a growing multimedia news team in a competitive environment.
- Knowledge of oncology
- Familiarity with Google Suite and publishing systems